locked
windows mail RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello all.

    i have loaded windows vista (took me 2 weeks to do this) but the pograme windows mail keeps trying to make a dial up connection when i have broadband. i have checked all the connection setting and they are set to NEVER USE DIALUP.

    its now been 4 weeks since i last checked emails and you no i will be ramraided with junk email so PLEASE can some one help me with this.

    Thursday, March 22, 2007 5:21 PM

All replies

  • I also have exactly the same problem of Windows Mail offering a Dial-up connection box whenever I click on Send/Receive. I have no dial-up connections and none have been configured. I use Broadband.
    Whenever I try to look at the Connection tab under Tools/Accounts and then Properties for the account Windows Mail stops responding.

    This means I cannot send or receive emails.

    I have checked the Internet Options via Control Panel and the Connection Tab shows that there are no Dial-up and Virtual Private Networks and all of the options under 'Choose settings if you need to configure a proxy server" are all greyed out.

    Can anyone help?

    Graham
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 6:17 AM
  • Although I have no solution, I'm pleased to see that it's not just me who has this problem.  I do hope that someone out there can help.

     

    Saturday, April 7, 2007 2:32 PM
  • Hi,

    I have had identical problems with my 'always on' Broadband connected via a DSL Modem. As mentioned here Windows Mail always asks for a Dial Up Connection and when the Email Account, Properties,Connection Tab is clicked Windows Mail stops responding. The Internet Connection settings are set to 'never dial a connection' and Windows Mail is set to use Internet Connections.

     

    I have managed to solve the problem.

     

    I removed all my Email Accounts (2 in my case) in WIndows Mail and then added them again. As soon as they were added and Windows Mail restarted the dial up connection box did not appear and it was possible to click on the 'Connections' tab of the Email Account Properties without crashing Windows Mail. All works fine now with all Users.

     

    I have not been able to replicate the problem so far but I can offer a possible cause. Both my email accounts were set up to access pop3 servers. One was on my host Broadband ISP, the other was for a pop3 account hosted on my pre-Broadband (dial up) ISP. I suggest as a possible cause, (I apologise if this is rubbish), that when on an occasion Windows Mail could not connect to this other ISP POP3 server through my host ISP it offered an alternative connection and then somehow got 'stuck' with always offering it. I guess it is some sort of bug within Windows Mail. I have re-instated exactly the same email account conditions to see if it will cause the same problem.

     

    Hope that helps!!

    MS

    Saturday, April 14, 2007 12:38 PM