Sharepoint BCS to Connect Oracle Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am working in Oracle 10g express edition.connection string is succesfully connecting in 32 bit machine.but when i use the same oracle in 64 bit machine i am getting the below error

System.Exception: System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater

So please help me to solve this issue

Regards

S.Madeswaran

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:57 AM bcs is sp2010 (From:SharePoint - Business Data Catalog (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 8:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

If you are trying to connect to Oracle from 64bit application (for example SharePoint 2010) you should have installed: Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Client (11.2.0.1.0) for Microsoft Windows (x64) (it can be found here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/112010-win64soft-094461.html )

If you are trying to connect to Oracle from 32bit application (for example VisualStudio 2010) you should have installed: Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Client (11.2.0.1.0) for Microsoft Windows (32-bit) (it can be found here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/112010-win32soft-098987.html )

Please ensure you select the 'Administrator' type of installation when you install Oracle clients.

Dmitry

Lightning Tools Check out our SharePoint tools and web parts

Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:09 AM
  • Hi, Dmitry. I've installed the client from the first reference, because i've created a BCS Assembly. In our development enviroment works fine. (i'm connecting to same oracle instance in both development and production enviroment.) 

But in production enviroment, throw me  the following exception (BTW the error is in spanish because the language pack is  installed)

"Error inesperado de la MethodInstance denominada 'ReadList' en la entidad (tipo de contenido externo) con el nombre ' ' en el espacio de nombres ' '. El error se produjo en el método 'ReadList' definido en la clase ' ' con el mensaje 'System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.'."

Corr ID:45a356da-b821-4095-b0e8-38f4406e590a

if i execute connection test with udl file, is succesfull

I've tested the bcs with "LightningTools.BCSTesterMan" and works fine.

Do you have any suggestion to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Sergio.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:52 PM
  • Hi Sergio,

You should have installed: Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Client (11.2.0.1.0) for Microsoft Windows (x64) in your production enviroment (it can be found here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/112010-win64soft-094461.html )

Dmitry

Lightning Tools LogoLightning Tools Check out our SharePoint tools and web parts
    • Proposed as answer by Sharop Friday, October 14, 2011 3:52 PM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 9:41 AM
  • :D Thanks.

Dmitry, the Oracle client version isn't the issue. In fact the url that you provide was the correct, the problem was that in production environment i have:

1. WFE

1. Search Server

1. App Server.

I've installed the client in WFE and APP Server. That fixed the problem. I don't know if that solutions is correct.
    Do you think that exist another way?

Friday, October 14, 2011 3:52 PM
  • This solution is correct.

Dmitry

Lightning Tools LogoLightning Tools Check out our SharePoint tools and web parts
    Monday, October 17, 2011 9:56 AM