none
Split or create milestones for bigger project RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am working on estimating bigger project that will run for more than 2 years and I started listed all the tasks with proper structuring including summary tasks and WBS. Now I would like to split these tasks into multiple release plans like alpha, beta and final release based on their priority/criticality. Is there any way to introduce this in the MS Project Pro or Lite in such a way that when I filter to alpha content it shows me alpha content with its estimation time and start and end dates and when I filter it to beta, it does for beta content. I am just trying to avoid the manual work to split this huge project plan into such alpha and beta release planning.

Any suggestions will be great help. Thanks in advance.

- gdhar

GB

Monday, June 6, 2016 3:21 PM

All replies

• gdhar,

A couple of suggestions.

First, If your WBS structure is unique to each phase you could either auto-filter or use a custom filter to look for the WBS identifier unique to each phase.

Second, use a flag field or number field to uniquely identify tasks from each phase and then filter on those.

Third, you might want to use the grouping function to group each phase. That will create a group summary line for each phase if each phase is not already under its own summary.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, June 6, 2016 4:05 PM
  • Thanks a lot John for the help. When I grouped according to the priority, it showed me the list of tasks along with its duration. The duration shows based on first Start Date to Last Finish Date where in I do have some in between tasks for other phases in the current WBS. Is there any way to show the total actual hours to be spent on the given grouped priority that will help me to get actual hours for a phase. For e.g. the duration for priority of 300 shows me 200 days whereas actual tasks listed in the group will take only 10 days to complete. I would like to get this 10 days as of the data from this grouping, so that I can start prioritizing my alpha, beta contents.

Thanks again John.

gdhar

GB

• Edited by gdhar Tuesday, June 7, 2016 2:38 PM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2016 2:35 PM
  • GB,

You use the term "priority", are you using the Priority field? That field is intended to be used in conjunction with Project's resource leveling feature, not for organizing workflow. And since you indicate that grouping on priority is not giving the results you need, then you'll have to use another method.

If your WBS is not structured in such a way that you can filter on it as I suggested, then you should use my second option and designate a number or flag field to identify phases. Once you have tasks identified by phase, then the grouping feature will give you the data you want.

Also, don't confuse duration with work, in Project they are two different things. Duration is the time span during which a task is worked by one or more resources. Work is the estimated effort to perform the task. If a single resource is assigned at 100% to a task, then the duration and work for that task will be the same. However, if a resource is assigned 50% to a task with a 5 day duration, (40h), then the work content of that task will only be 20 hours.

You also mention "actual hours". It isn't clear whether you are talking about duration or actual work, but "actuals" in Project are not the same as "estimated". For example, when a task is first created it may have an estimated duration of 5 days and an estimated work content of 20 hours. Not until that task is started, and completed, will anybody know the actual duration or actual work.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 8:22 PM