none
Azure Storage instead of tape RRS feed

• Question

• I am reading this article

http://blogs.technet.com/b/server-cloud/archive/2012/09/07/windows-azure-online-backup.aspx

Its pretty interesting but my question is this.

I don't want to store my replicas on azure. the replicas can be on my local disks. 

but instead of writing the replica to tape I want to write the replica to Azure storage.

Is this possible? so that if the DPM is destroyed for some reason.... instead of restoring from tape... we do restore from cloud.

But the replica itself resides locally and not on cloud.

is this possible?

val it: unit=()

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 12:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM 2012 Sp1 will support backup to Azure.  The approach is slightly different in that DPM always required Disk to Disk to Azure (D2D2A) backups, we will not support Disk to Azure like Windows server 2012 backup does.

Current plans are only file server / Hyper-V / SQL DB backup to Azure at RTM time -  may add other workloads later.
    Restores are from Azure, to DPM local disk, to Protected server disk (A2D2D).

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM 2012 Sp1 will support backup to Azure.  The approach is slightly different in that DPM always required Disk to Disk to Azure (D2D2A) backups, we will not support Disk to Azure like Windows server 2012 backup does.

Current plans are only file server / Hyper-V / SQL DB backup to Azure at RTM time -  may add other workloads later.
    Restores are from Azure, to DPM local disk, to Protected server disk (A2D2D).

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:29 PM
  • Hi Mike, I know you perfectly answered this question, but I have few more to ask.

We are currently doing standard backup - Disk-to-Disk-to-Tape. Tapes are picked up by company daily.

There are few issues with this approach. First we are doing FULL tape backup every single day (as you know DPM does not support Differential or Incremental long-term protection which is sad). Second (an this is our biggest problem) is that we need to ship and receive tapes every single day. This cost us a lot (especially lately prices increased due to gas prices).

We did our calculation and found that it will be beneficial to have AZURE backup as Intermediate protection for 35 days and then we can have only monthly tape backup as we need to keep data for several years. But this is only beneficial if we can protect everything during those 35 days: System State/Active Directory, File, SQL, Hyper-V, Exchange, SharePoint and Dynamics CRM.

If we cannot protect one thing (and currently AZURE does not offer protection for Exchange, SharePoint, Active Directory and Dynamics CRM) then it worth nothing because the guy (delivery guy) still has to come and pickup tapes daily, so we are not saving anything.

My question is: when Microsoft will be supported ALL workloads to AZURE? Is that something even in the plans? Or we will be stuck with tapes forever?

Please help and answer this question.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:03 PM
  • Hi,

I will forward your feedback to the DPM product group so they can evaluate future enhancements.

If you want to eliminate offsite tape costs, here are a few ideas you can evaluate.

1) Install a secondary DPM server offsite at a satellite location.  Move the tape library to the secondary site and perform tape backups from the secondary DPM Server.   Physical tapes will then already be offsite from production servers.  You only need to maintain one days disk based RP's for the long term tape backups to work.

2) Install a Virtual Tape library that can replicate the backups to a secondary site automatically for DR.

One such VTL is below - however others exist.

https://store.emc.com/Solve-For/BACKUP-PRODUCTS/Data-Domain-Virtual-Tape-Library/p/DDM-SPEC-SOFT-002-1Q13-0047?productClassCode=Software

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:10 PM