none
Disappearing Actuals RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

(This question refers to MS Project 2010 with project server 2010)

I've been noticing over the past few weeks actual hours posted to my project from timesheets have been missing - and I finally saw how that happens. Here's the sequence of events:

1. Timesheets posted to the project for the week ending Apr 29th

2. PM goes into the project to status work by adjusting remaining work

3. On one such task, due to be finished May 6th (1 week later), a resource has over 60 hrs of remaining work. Let me clarify - by "due to be finished" - this is based on new information from a status review so the PM is adjusting the plan based on this new information.  So the PM changes 60 hours to 40hrs for the resource.

4. Since resources are applied to a task on a % allocation basis, the difference of 20 hrs actually adjusts the duration more than 1 week back and now sets the task completion date before the last timesheet submitted (in this example, removing 20 hours changed the finish date from May10th to April 21st.)

5. When the remaining work adjustment sets the task finish date  before the last timesheet is submitted - it erases all the actuals asscociated to that task that appear after the new task finish date.

Is this expected functionality? Seems highly volitile if the PM had made a mistake which affected multiple resources ! How would you reapply the timesheet data?

Thanks,
    Troy

Friday, May 13, 2011 3:58 PM

Answers

• It sounds like Project is behaving as designed. When PMs change work values or durations, this can affect actual work in the project if not executed correctly. First, this indicates that your PMs do not understand the scheduling engine, so training will ultimately be your best resolution. Next, you can prevent this by locking down the system so that updates can only be made through Project Web App. Yes, you can recall and resubmit timesheets.
    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:18 PM