none
Need to disable packet CD writing RRS feed

• Question

• I have a locked down system where the built-in CD burning functionality has been disbled. This work fine until I introduce a CD formatted for packet writing created on another machine. I am then able to use any application and 'save as' option to write the file to the CD.  Using this method I am able to get around the lockdown of not being able to write to CD set using the GPO or registry update.  Any one know how to stop all built-in CD/DVD burning?  I have 3rd party software which must still be able to burn.
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

“Using this method I am able to get around the lockdown of not being able to write to CD set using the GPO or registry update.”

What is the GPO or registry you have configured?

If you have deployed the GPO “Remove CD Burning features” in Group Policy (User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\File Explorer), this is an expected behavior.

This GPO can’t prevent you from using third-party applications to create or modify CDs using a CD writer.

For your situation, we could create an applocker(Enterprise version) or software restriction policy to disable the “packet writing” software as a workaround.

Best regards,
    Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:52 AM
  • Hi Joy

Yes my GPO is to remove the CD buring features.

Setting applocker will be fine but I do not know what to restricted.  If you could point me in that direction it would help greatly.

Many Thanks

Peter

Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:09 AM
  • Hi Peter,

"Setting applocker will be fine but I do not know what to restricted. "

Those third party softwares which have “packet writing” function are restricted objects.

We could create a new rule in AppLocker to restrict them. Please know that the Applocker will block the executable  file for the software, and we cannot use it any more.

Meanwhile, as multiple applications have “packet writing” function, it might be a troublesome work to restrict them one by one.

If you want to disable burning function anyhow, we could disable CD/DVD drive completely to realize your desire as a workaround.

Best regards,
    Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:04 AM