none
MS Project on a MAC RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for an MS Project option that can run on a MAC.  I know the download version needs WINDOWS but can you run MS Project using the CLOUD based option on a MAC?
    Tuesday, January 15, 2019 9:23 PM

Answers

• I guess it depends on what you mean as MS Project.   Project Web App (PWA) does NOT access .mpp files, it is used to access published files that exist in Project Online (think of Project Server here), and those files are not stored in a sharepoint library (they are stored in an impenetrable SQL database), it is an enterprise solution which requires configuration.  Please don't assume the same paradigm exists between Project and Project Web App that exists for Word and Word Web App.  

PWA is a general term (it used to stand for Project Web Access back in the 2002/2003 days) that provides browser based access to the Project Online system in order to perform various functions, including timesheets, task status, risk/issue creation, project metadata editing, views of multiple projects, as well as simple schedule editing functions(complimenting MS Project (ie winproj,exe)) for projects stored in Project Server / Project Online.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 10:28 PM

All replies

• Hi DickB13,

There is no Project client for the Mac, regardless of what version you buy, there are only versions for Windows.  You will need to run Parallels Desktop on the Mac, install Windows and then run Project on there.

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 9:34 PM
  • Ben,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but can't Mac users access Project Online via a browser? I've never looked into it as I use Parallels myself but perhaps it's another option.

John

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 9:58 PM
  • This is what I was thinking too.  Since using a browser, even if it was Firefox, in theory should work, since the software is in the cloud on a PC platform (presumably).  I could store the data on the MAC and just access with the cloud based software.  That is what makes sense to me.

However I cannot find anyone yet that says that is possible for a MAC.  So that is why I am still looking for a definitive answer.

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 10:15 PM
  • I guess it depends on what you mean as MS Project.   Project Web App (PWA) does NOT access .mpp files, it is used to access published files that exist in Project Online (think of Project Server here), and those files are not stored in a sharepoint library (they are stored in an impenetrable SQL database), it is an enterprise solution which requires configuration.  Please don't assume the same paradigm exists between Project and Project Web App that exists for Word and Word Web App.  

PWA is a general term (it used to stand for Project Web Access back in the 2002/2003 days) that provides browser based access to the Project Online system in order to perform various functions, including timesheets, task status, risk/issue creation, project metadata editing, views of multiple projects, as well as simple schedule editing functions(complimenting MS Project (ie winproj,exe)) for projects stored in Project Server / Project Online.

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 10:28 PM
  • Ben,

Okay, thanks for the enlightenment. It doesn't seem have the versatility I thought it might.

John

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 11:44 PM