none
Windows 7 Installation to system with 5 logical or system hard drives drives. RRS feed

• Question

• I am planning to upgrade my XP Professional system via a clean install of Windows 7 Professional 64bit.  The hard drive sub-system consists of a 12 drive RAID array that presents 5 68GB logical hard drives to the operating system.  Each of these drives are currnetly partitioned into single FAT32 partitions (C:\ through G:\).

I understand that the C:\ drive will have to be converted to NTFS but as I understand the installation process the data on that drive will have to be saved to an external drive and then restored.  I would prefer to stick with FAT32 and retain the ability to dual boot to MS-DOS - but I can live with it.  Drives D:\ through G:\ are another matter.

The drives are used mainly for data but there are some programs that I have installed in "E:\Program Files" over the years to keep the C:\  drive from running out of space.  I realize that all programs will have to be re-installed loosing that option is not that big a deal.

The question boils down to: Do drives D:\ through G:\ have to be converted to NTFS or will Windows 7 live with the existing FA32 setup?  

Also, I saw some chatter suggesting that it might be possile to install Windows 7 on a FAT32 partition-- if that is the case this whole question becomes moot.

Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:11 PM

Answers

• I am afraid to say that Windows 7 can only be installed on NTFS. Therefore, you need to backup all your files and folders on Drive C: to an external drive or other drives and then convert disk C: to NTFS to avoid any data loss. However, it is OK that keeping other drives as FAT16/FAT32 or NTFS

But it is always recommended to convert your other drives to NTFS since Windows 7 can be supported better if the hard drives are formatted as NTFS.
    In addition, it is not suggested making a dual boot to MS-DOS with Windows 7 due to the complicated process. For your reference, you can refer to Dual boot Windows 7 and DOS.

What I recommend here is that setting up Windows 7 and then installing Virtual Machine (like VMware Station) to install MS-DOC on it.

What’s more, all the programs originally installed on Driver E: needed to be reinstalled after Windows 7 is setting up. Therefore, please do not forget backing up the installation files and the product keys of the programs as well.

Good Luck! 

Friday, November 20, 2009 6:49 AM

All replies

• Win7 installs on NTFS only , however it can still read/write to other partitions formatted as FAT32 .
    - JoelbX
    JoelbX's favorite threads | Space | ----- | Email me | 'Gadget' programs
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:35 PM
  • I am afraid to say that Windows 7 can only be installed on NTFS. Therefore, you need to backup all your files and folders on Drive C: to an external drive or other drives and then convert disk C: to NTFS to avoid any data loss. However, it is OK that keeping other drives as FAT16/FAT32 or NTFS

But it is always recommended to convert your other drives to NTFS since Windows 7 can be supported better if the hard drives are formatted as NTFS.
    In addition, it is not suggested making a dual boot to MS-DOS with Windows 7 due to the complicated process. For your reference, you can refer to Dual boot Windows 7 and DOS.

What I recommend here is that setting up Windows 7 and then installing Virtual Machine (like VMware Station) to install MS-DOC on it.

What’s more, all the programs originally installed on Driver E: needed to be reinstalled after Windows 7 is setting up. Therefore, please do not forget backing up the installation files and the product keys of the programs as well.

Good Luck! 

Friday, November 20, 2009 6:49 AM