none
MDT: create build and capture task sequence? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Please advise howto build and capture a task sequence in MDT. So not a capture from an existing ts but a build, then capture ts in MDT 2013. Iow, what are the final steps to use after a general built in order to properly capture to a wim-file.
    A screenshotted step-by-step guide would be usefull.

J.

Jan Hoedt

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 1:36 PM

Answers

• Jan,

Every standard task sequence derived from the Stand Client Task Sequence xml which you can select from the create a new task sequence wizard will do the job. However the trick is to provide the correct values for capturing the ongoing installation of the OS, when all the steps in the task sequence have completed.

Take a look over here: MDT – How I build my reference images (User Question)

If you put the following properties in your customsettings.ini each machine that is not domain joined while deploying will be captured into a WIM file:

TSVAR: DoCapture
    VALUE: YES
    TSVAR: ComputerBackupLocation
    VALUE: %DEPLOYROOT%\Captures
    TSVAR: BackupFile
    Value: W81ENTx64.wim
    TSVAR: FinishAction
    VALUE: SHUTDOWN

If you specify these properties as a task sequence variable, in the particular task sequence you build your image with. This machine will always be captured into a WIM file.

Cheers!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

• Marked as answer by janhoedt Wednesday, October 1, 2014 4:12 PM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 3:02 PM

All replies

• Some light searching would have provided the information to you.

Try http://gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.com/2014/03/create-customised-reference-image-with.html for an idea on how this works. You're also likely to find some tutorials on YouTube, if you prefer video.

-Nick O.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:52 PM
  • Jan,

Every standard task sequence derived from the Stand Client Task Sequence xml which you can select from the create a new task sequence wizard will do the job. However the trick is to provide the correct values for capturing the ongoing installation of the OS, when all the steps in the task sequence have completed.

Take a look over here: MDT – How I build my reference images (User Question)

If you put the following properties in your customsettings.ini each machine that is not domain joined while deploying will be captured into a WIM file:

TSVAR: DoCapture
    VALUE: YES
    TSVAR: ComputerBackupLocation
    VALUE: %DEPLOYROOT%\Captures
    TSVAR: BackupFile
    Value: W81ENTx64.wim
    TSVAR: FinishAction
    VALUE: SHUTDOWN

If you specify these properties as a task sequence variable, in the particular task sequence you build your image with. This machine will always be captured into a WIM file.

Cheers!

• Marked as answer by janhoedt Wednesday, October 1, 2014 4:12 PM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 3:02 PM
  • Nick, if you would have read what you re posting, you would have seen this is not a build and capture ts in one go (zerotouch). It s a build, then capture via wsf what I absolutely want to avoid.

Jan Hoedt

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 4:11 PM
  • Thanks! That's what where I was looking for.

Just to be sure, so no specific action/steps in the ts itself then (sysprep steps etc)?

Jan Hoedt

Thursday, October 2, 2014 9:19 AM
  • No the steps are all there. Just expand the "state restore" group, and you will find the "imaging" group underneath, that does the trick based on the properties I gave you. You'll find some of these properties (like DoCapture) is being used as a condition on one of these imaging steps.

Cheers!

Thursday, October 2, 2014 9:27 AM
  • Does not work for me. Probably because I have SkipCapture=YES in main customsettings.ini, I want to keep it that way. Can I do that, f.e. set the variable in the ts SkipCapture=NO or something like that?

Jan Hoedt

Friday, October 3, 2014 4:30 PM
  • Jan

In the task sequence you use to create your image with, add a task sequence variable at the top of your sequnce and give it the variable name: SkipCapture and value: NO this should solve your problem, so you can maintain SkipCapture=YES in your default section in CustomSettings.ini

Cheers!

Friday, October 3, 2014 5:38 PM
  • Thanks, but that did not work for me. I changed that setting, even removed the prereqs for running the capture but it did not run.

Jan Hoedt

Friday, October 3, 2014 5:44 PM
  • Then please post an example of your cs.ini and a screenshot of your task sequence with the state restore expandend, and everything before Initialization

Cheers!

Friday, October 3, 2014 5:57 PM
  • Dude! Seriously: what is with the jacket?
    Monday, December 2, 2019 4:07 AM