none
How to sync split-scope DHCP servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have 3 Windows 2008 R2 DC. 2 of them are DHCP servers and configured as split-scope DHCP server. 

We have a lot of IP reservations/scope options and scopes on one DHCP server. It's a lot of work to repeat the same work on the second DHCP server. Is there an easy way to sync/duplicate all configurations on DHCP one to DHCP two?

Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Grace

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 11:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

• You can use powershell command Export/Import-DhcpServer to duplicate configurations.

Please refer to the following links:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/dhcpserver/export-dhcpserver?view=win10-ps

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/dhcpserver/import-dhcpserver?view=win10-ps 

• Please refer to the link below:

How to duplicate reservations from one server to another? 

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/teamdhcp/2006/07/18/how-to-duplicate-reservations-from-one-server-to-another/  

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 1:37 AM
  • Hi Travis,

Thank you for your reply. I got the following error when I ran Export-DhcpServer.

The term 'Export-DhcpServer' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:18
    + Export-DhcpServer <<<<  -ComputerName "DHCPServer" -File "C:\Temp\dhcpexport.xml"
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Export-DhcpServer:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Does Export-DhcpServer work on Windows 2008 R2 server? 

Then I tried Netsh command like below.

PS C:\Windows\system32> netsh
    netsh>dhcp
    netsh dhcp>server
    netsh dhcp server>export c:\Temp\dhcpdata.dat all

Command completed successfully.
    netsh dhcp server>

I am able to export, however when I tried to import to another DHCP server, I got the error below.

netsh dhcp server>import c:\Temp\dhcpdata.dat all

Error while importing option "358."
    This option conflicts with the existing option "" An internal error occurred.

What does it mean?

Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Grace

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 7:14 PM
  • I just checked my DHCP server and I do not have option 358.

Grace

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 7:41 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

• you need to add/update dhcpserver module on powershell.
    • when you finish the configuration of split-scope, some settings of scope have been duplicated.
    • The scopes on both servers have the same scope options (router, DNS servers, etc.) 

Best regards,

Travis

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, September 27, 2018 9:42 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Travis

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 7:08 AM