Installation to Q: drive RRS feed

• Question

• During the sequencing process, I chose to install the app to Q: volume but after the monitoring the it seems that the shortcut point to the C: drive instead (I expect that the app should be installed on Q:). All I can find on Q: volume are CDDIL folders.  Is this how it's supposed to work?
    Monday, June 8, 2009 4:11 PM

Answers

• When Microsoft Recommends to install the app in Q: drive, it means that Q:\<UniqueMountPoint>\Adobe for adobe. ie. Q:\XUZ.001\Adobe should be the location for Installation of Adobe. 
    GNU developer by choice ....
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, June 8, 2009 8:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:34 PM
    Monday, June 8, 2009 6:51 PM

All replies

• Which application are u installing. and can you verify when you install the applications normally then they gets installed in Q:\ drive if you choose to install it in Q:\xyz\app location.
    Because sequencer will not change the way app is installed. If files are installed in C:\  by the installer they sequencer will only copy them in VFS folder is Q: drive.

Monday, June 8, 2009 5:08 PM
  • The program I am testing now is Adobe 9.1 and yes, it does give me an option to specify what path that I want to install on when I install it.  Does this path has to match the path that I specify in the sequencing wizard which is Q:\adobe9 because Microsoft recommends it. I wouldn't care what volume the app gets installed on just as long as it works.  Since Microsoft recommends to install the sequenced app on Q: drive, does that mean the program files for the apps have to be on Q: drive along with all the CDDLI folders in order for the advertised virtual app to work properly?

Monday, June 8, 2009 5:57 PM
  • When Microsoft Recommends to install the app in Q: drive, it means that Q:\<UniqueMountPoint>\Adobe for adobe. ie. Q:\XUZ.001\Adobe should be the location for Installation of Adobe. 
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, June 8, 2009 8:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:34 PM
    Monday, June 8, 2009 6:51 PM
  • Hi,

It is for sure best to install to the Q-drive but It is only a recommendation.
    Many applications also install stuff to the Systemdrive and some application will not work properly if you install them to Q.
    This is not bad, app-v will put al stuff installed to the Systemdrive in the Q:\<ASSETDIR>\VFS\CSIDL.... folders in the root of your virtual package. It is is actually designed to deal with files that will automatically install to the systemdrive. 

Kind regards,

Jan van der Elst
    Login Consultants
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 6:33 AM