search for 2003 machines RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I Need a tool to find out how many and which Windows Server 2003 maschines are in my network. Unfortunately we have managed devices and unmanaged devices. Unmanaged means they are not in my Active Directory Environment.

Do you see the possibility to search with MAP for These 2003 maschines? I only saw there 2008 maschines.

Thanks in Advance,

Steffi  

Beilage

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:39 PM

All replies

• Yes, MAP can discover machines as far back as Windows 2000, which is when WMI was introduced into the OS. The unmanaged machines are going to be a headache though. Since MAP is agentless, it is beholden to network security which means you will have to configure the remote administration access for each machine individually. At this point the benefits of using MAP quickly diminish because of all the manual preparation work required.

This Wiki article discusses how to prepare both a managed and unmanaged environment for use with WMI.

MAP: Prepare the Environment – WMI

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, May 23, 2014 7:51 PM