How can I benchmark how long it takes MOSS SP 2007 processing that relate to accesing SQL ? RRS feed

• Question

• We are planning to upgrade from our current sql server 2005 machine to a new 64 bit sql server 2008 machine.

I have been asked to establish some benchmarks before the move occurs that measures the time it takes for SharePoint to access the current SQL environment, that we can then execute after the change to determine how much improvement can be seen.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to set up benchmarks of that kind? I am not certain how to measure this underneath of sharepoint.

Thank you!

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:00 PM

All replies

• I have been thinking about this some more. We have no control, on the prod machine, to kick people off so that we can test in isolation, and even then, users could have established alerts, etc. that differ before and after.

I don't know exactly what specific sharepoint processing would be best to focus on that would demonstrate how a difference in databases impacts user response time.

However, the one thing that I can access are the IIS logs that show amounts of data and time it takes to process requests, which is the closest we have come to quantifying user response time.

We don't have an "average" user. They are spread out across 1500+ internal sharepoint sites across 5 content databases, and many many lists and libraries.

I am just trying to figure out a way to measure a "script" of specific processing that somehow relates back to sql server processing.

The sql server 2005 environment is not gathering a lot of metrics - it would weigh the machine down a bit.

If you have worked on doing something similar to this, I would love to hear what you have found to be helpful.

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:20 PM