none
IE 11 upgrade appears to have corrupted TIF affecting Outlook 2010 (images) and Excel 2010 (embedded queries)

Question

• I'm running Windows 7 Professional and just upgraded IE from 9 to 11. Afterwards, I observed that Outlook 2010 was not downloading pictures (instead showing red x's) and Excel 2010 embedded internet queries stopped working. 

I think I've cornered the problem, but can't seem to fix. I have also observed that IE's temporary internet files (TIF) folder may be missing (Internet Options>Browsing History>Settings>Temporary Internet Files shows nothing under Current Location) and the allotted disk space is set to zero and cannot be changed. If I input another number (no matter the number), I receive the following error message:

"Please select a value between 8 and 8 for how much disk space Temporary Internet Files may use."

I have tried renaming the following RegEdit keys, but to no avail: Cache and LowCache (both under HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Internet Settings>5.0). They get replaced when IE11 is re-opened.

The actual values within the registry keys are as follows:

Cache>Content>CacheLimit = 8192 (Decimal)

LowCache>Content>CacheLimit = 256000 (Decimal)

This is driving me crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

-David

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 10:17 PM

Answers

• Hi DavKer,

You may see a red x if the image is not embedded in the message and the Send Pictures With Document registry value is set:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Options\Mail

DWORD: Send Pictures With Document

Value: 0

And

1.      Open Outlook 2010 
    2.      Click on the new "File" tab
    3.      Click on "Options"
    4.      Click on "Trust Center"
    5.      Click on "Trust Center Settings"
    6.      Uncheck the "Don't download pictures automatically in HTML e-mail messages or RSS items" check box
    7.      Click the "Okay" button
    8.      Exit Outlook 2010

In addition, we could refer to this link to fix it when pictures cannot be displayed and are shown as red X in Outlook.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2638687

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 1:57 PM

All replies

• Having found no solution, I uninstalled IE11 and reverted back to IE9. Both Outlook 2010 and Excel 2010 are working as before--pictures download in Outlook emails and my embedded queries download data in Excel. I would like to stay current with IE, but need to find a solution to this problem first.

I should add that I have successfully installed IE11 on an AWS virtual server running WinSer 2012 R2. But, for some reason, I cannot successfuly install IE11 on my Windows 7 Professional PC without corrupting the normal operation of the TIF.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 12:26 AM
  • Hi DavKer,

You may see a red x if the image is not embedded in the message and the Send Pictures With Document registry value is set:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Options\Mail

DWORD: Send Pictures With Document

Value: 0

And

1.      Open Outlook 2010 
    2.      Click on the new "File" tab
    3.      Click on "Options"
    4.      Click on "Trust Center"
    5.      Click on "Trust Center Settings"
    6.      Uncheck the "Don't download pictures automatically in HTML e-mail messages or RSS items" check box
    7.      Click the "Okay" button
    8.      Exit Outlook 2010

In addition, we could refer to this link to fix it when pictures cannot be displayed and are shown as red X in Outlook.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2638687

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 1:57 PM