none
Installing an external hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I just bought a SATA 3.5" Enclosure hard disk drive.  I followed the instructions for installing the drive.  Basically after plugging it in to a USB port, the computer automatically detected and installed the drive.  However, I do not see it recognized under the drives.  All I see is the C drive and the D (DVD) drive.  When I go under Devices, I see something called ASTM1051.  When I remove the external hard drive, this ASTM1051 device goes away; so I assume that is the hard drive I just bought.  No where can I see how I can format the disk, or get it to be recognized with the other drives.

When I right click on Computer and choose Manage, Storage and Disk Management, I see no choice under the E drive (which is the only other choice other than C or D drives) that allows me to format the disk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, November 27, 2016 12:36 AM

All replies

• ASTM1051 is the ext. hd.

Double-check that the drive is properly connected and that it's plugged into a power outlet. 3.5-inch external drives they need to be plugged into a wall outlet using a power transformer.

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Sunday, November 27, 2016 12:49 AM