advertisments are taking more time to display reimaged machines. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

After reimage the machine, we are installing the SMS client and pushing packages by adding machine name into AD groups.

in my SMS environment, we've created AD groups for software deployment. sms collection will fetech the machine name from resfective AD groups and start pushing the same.

my query is after adding machine name into AD groups, SMS is taking more time (4 to 5 hrs) to reflect in sms collections.

even we've set to update collection membership is every 15 minutes.

could you please help me resolve this issue.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 8:23 AM

Answers

• Did you check the client logs policyagent.log, locationservice.log etc .. to find out what it is doing for that period of time?

Also, check when is the machine record appears in collection? What are the agents ran on the system record? Also, check whether you can see the advertment list below advertisement tab in computer record property?

Anoop C Nair - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Sunday, February 5, 2012 3:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Monday, December 22, 2014 2:54 AM
    Friday, April 29, 2011 6:12 PM

All replies

• Hello - what are the discovery methods enabled and how about the schedules for those in your environment? Delay can be because of that... Also, check whether there is any backlog in your Inbox folders..
    Anoop C Nair - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Thanks for the update Anoop.

we've enabled AD system discovery and AD system group discovery. schdule time for discovery update and collection update all are every 15 mintes.

how to check backlog in inbox folder. could you please brief about this.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:19 PM
  • wow, every 15 minutes. 

check the adsysdis.log, the adsysgrp.log.  Are they running continuously?

for inbox backlog, 1 quick way is to look at inboxmon.log; every 15 minutes or so it'll summarize how many files are in an inbox.  In your case, if you have a ddr backlog, that would be reflected in the inboxes\auth\ddm.box

If that is your issue, a ddr backlog; I suggest you check out www.systemcentertools.com, their ESD utility.  that will let you do frequent discoveries of systems and system group as you are trying to do.

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:35 PM
  • thanks for update Sherry,

i've checked above log files, i did not found inboxmon.log is it available in client machine. in server i'm able to see inboxmgr.log and inboxast.log

ddm.box i did not find any records.

is there any other things i need to check.

Note: its happening only newly rebuild PC's.

after rebuild we will add PC into different softwware AD groups. SMS will fetch from there. it is taking 4 to 5 hours.. please help me to resolve.

Friday, April 29, 2011 2:03 PM
  • Did you check the client logs policyagent.log, locationservice.log etc .. to find out what it is doing for that period of time?

Also, check when is the machine record appears in collection? What are the agents ran on the system record? Also, check whether you can see the advertment list below advertisement tab in computer record property?

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Sunday, February 5, 2012 3:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Monday, December 22, 2014 2:54 AM
    Friday, April 29, 2011 6:12 PM