What are some solutions for useful MOSS 2007 backup RRS feed

• Question

• Currently we are doing the following - the sql server back end is backed up daily. On the SharePoint side, we run a script that determines all the subsites, and it then runs a stsadm -o backup for each one.

The problems we encounter with this setup are:

a. backups are taking varying times between 10-15 hours to complete.  We have at least 4 subsites which have more than 10 gig , one of which is more than 80 gig in size. That one takes 6 hours or more to complete backups.

b. restores are very infrequent. But when the last request occurred - of a single file from that 80 gig site - we were unable to do the restore at this time because the sql server behind our recovery site didn't have enough disk space.

I don't see other Microsoft options for transparently handling backups that would allow single document or list recoveries. I can try to start the backups earlier, and I want to try and figure out a way to reorganize so that the "real" sites are backed up before the mysites. But the mysites are getting done pretty quickly... just a lot of them.

I'm just trying to figure out some alternative approaches. Certainly we could try to reorganize our backups so that we rotate between a full backup one day and incrementals the following day or two (right now we are doing full backups, it appears to me, every day).  But right now the space policies for the backups are to keep 3 days of files, so we would need to either change the policy, or do a full backup every 3 days. And the problem with the every 3 day backup plan is that we end up needing to run into the prime hours of user time, and when the backups are running (and sharepoint is spidering content), users find they can't even get read access to their data.

I have been trying to figure out some approach to breaking up the bigger sites, but with workflows, links, etc. the breakage potential is pretty large, and that's not a risk that is going to be popular.

So I am hoping there are some alternatives others have devised from which I could learn.

Monday, June 20, 2011 1:13 PM

Answers

• First, I recommend reading this article to make sure that your sites are within performance guidelines.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sharepointserver/bb736741.aspx

Second, when you have sites that are that big, it is natural to expect that they will take a long time to back up, one option is to mirror your SQL server so that you constantly have an up-to-date backup solution. You could also increase the hardware on your SQL server or cluster another SQL server to increase performance.

As far as single items, there is no real way to "restore" them individually. To do this with just a single list, you would have to export the list as a template and include the content and backup that template. You can then restore it by moving the template file to the list templates of the new site and continue by creating a new list based on that template. While I do not have specifics near me right now, it is the only way to do single lists that I know of.

You dont see Microsoft options for restores on the item level because SP wasnt designed to handle backups and restores at that level. Though there may be options through the object model, but as I am not a coder I really cannot inform on this topic.

As far as breaking up the bigger sites, this is a great idea. Yes, you may run into problems now, but those will be smaller than when your backups fail and your farm is dead in the water. Small problems now > big money loosing problems later. Sometimes you have to do what is unpopular for the greater good.

If you prepare well enough, the potential for issues goes way down.

• Marked as answer by Peng Lei Monday, June 27, 2011 8:34 AM
    Monday, June 20, 2011 7:44 PM
  • Hi,

You will find detailed options for accommodating your backups including some of the limiting factors with STSADM. You also need to consider the customisations and IIS too. For sure you need to reorganise your backup cycle and you should consider differential backups. The link below outlines the comprehensive set of backup and reovery tools for SharePoint.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263427(office.12).aspx

hth,

Chirag Patel, MCTS
    Blog: techChirag.com
    Twitter: @techChirag
    Monday, June 20, 2011 9:07 PM

All replies

• First, I recommend reading this article to make sure that your sites are within performance guidelines.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sharepointserver/bb736741.aspx

Second, when you have sites that are that big, it is natural to expect that they will take a long time to back up, one option is to mirror your SQL server so that you constantly have an up-to-date backup solution. You could also increase the hardware on your SQL server or cluster another SQL server to increase performance.

As far as single items, there is no real way to "restore" them individually. To do this with just a single list, you would have to export the list as a template and include the content and backup that template. You can then restore it by moving the template file to the list templates of the new site and continue by creating a new list based on that template. While I do not have specifics near me right now, it is the only way to do single lists that I know of.

You dont see Microsoft options for restores on the item level because SP wasnt designed to handle backups and restores at that level. Though there may be options through the object model, but as I am not a coder I really cannot inform on this topic.

As far as breaking up the bigger sites, this is a great idea. Yes, you may run into problems now, but those will be smaller than when your backups fail and your farm is dead in the water. Small problems now > big money loosing problems later. Sometimes you have to do what is unpopular for the greater good.

If you prepare well enough, the potential for issues goes way down.

Monday, June 20, 2011 7:44 PM
  • Hi,

You will find detailed options for accommodating your backups including some of the limiting factors with STSADM. You also need to consider the customisations and IIS too. For sure you need to reorganise your backup cycle and you should consider differential backups. The link below outlines the comprehensive set of backup and reovery tools for SharePoint.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263427(office.12).aspx

hth,

Chirag Patel, MCTS
    Blog: techChirag.com
    Twitter: @techChirag
    Monday, June 20, 2011 9:07 PM