none
Unable to perform online backups of Hyper-V 2012 using DPM 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 virtual guests which have been P2V'd from physical servers and they run Windows 2008 R2 SP1.  They are now virtualised on Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V servers and I have installed DPM 2012 R2 on one of the 2012 servers to run backups.

The backups work but each time the VMs are backed up they go into a 'saved' state briefly and then come back on line.  I need to enable online backups but am at a loss on how to do this.  I have read several articles which suggest (and I have done what they say) stopping and starting the Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy Requestor and also adding a SCSI controller (not actually installing adding a virtual hard disk but setting it's location to 0).  These have not made any difference and I can also see in the DPM selection list that the VM appears under the HyperV node as 'Offline\servername'.

Does anyone have any further ideas as to why this is the case or what I could try to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:48 PM

Answers

• Are the hyper-v integration services installed and enabled on the vm? Are the hosts clustered? How much empty space is in the vms and in the hosts?
    • Marked as answer by chris624 Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:12 AM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:05 PM

All replies

• Are the hyper-v integration services installed and enabled on the vm? Are the hosts clustered? How much empty space is in the vms and in the hosts?
    • Marked as answer by chris624 Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:12 AM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:05 PM
  • You're not alone.  Been battling the same problem for days.  In my case any Hyper-v guest that shows as Online constantly shows "Replica is inconsistent"  To answer the question asked of you, yes Guest services are enable.  I have a good 100GB of empty space allotted for for this protection group.  And they are not clustered hosts.  I'll keep trying and attempt to respond if I get this figured out.  Any help from others appreciated.
    Saturday, April 26, 2014 4:43 PM
  • Thanks Ryan

It was the Hyper-V integration services that were the problem.  They were installed, however when I re-installed them on the client a message appeared to ask if I wanted to upgrade them. I accepted and proceeded with the installation and rebooted.  I did not need a SCSI  connector as suggested by some articles but I did need to remove the server from the protection group and re-add it so it showed the Hyper-V guest as online\servername instead of offline\servername in the selection list which it had previously done.  I have plenty of space and the servers are not clustered but we are using Hyper-V 2012 replication.

Chris

Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:24 AM
  • Wayback007,

The Hyper-V integration services was the issue (see Ryan's post marked as answer).  This resolved my problem but since resolving it I haven't been getting "replica is inconsistent messages".  It may be worth verifying that there is enough space for the replica volumes.  I have experienced this error before (unrelated to this example) and I needed to increase the allocated space for the replica volume - this resolved the problem.

I hope this helps,

Cheers

Chris

Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:28 AM
  • You're welcome
    Thursday, May 1, 2014 12:31 PM