none
quick questions of DPM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• hi all,

I am beginner in DPM. Sorry, just quick questions of DPM 2012.

For example, we have one Exchange 2010 DAG with 2 servers (say serverA and serverB),4 DBs(db1,db2,db3,db4) with 2 copies. Suppose I create indivisual protection groups for each db.

a. At the same time, when DPM backup one db copy (say db1's copy on serverA), can DPM backup another db copy (say db2's copy on server B)?

b. At the same time, when DPM backup one db copy (say db1's copy on serverA), can DPM backup another db copy (say db3's copy on server A)?

Why I ask this question is if the daily change is too big, the backup window might be very long. If the backup window of  protection groups can overlap each other, it would be very helpful.

William Yang

Friday, October 19, 2012 3:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

for the Protection Group creation you should take a look at the DPM 2010 calculator. It could give you some information based on your infrastructure.

Then about the backup itself, a single DPM server could backup all the database (one or both copy). And at the same time, if DPM1 backup DB1 active copy then DPM2 can backup DB2 passive copy.

Just be aware that an Exchange Server can only be backed up by a single DPM Server.

You could for exemple imagine that half of the databases are backup by a server and the other half by another.

Or you could have one DPM server to backup one copy of each database and another DPM Server as secondary DPM that will protect the Primary.

Friday, October 19, 2012 11:53 PM
  • Thanks for your inputs. But it doesn't reply my question.

What I am asking is:

if a DPM server is backup DB1(the copy on server1), the backup is still in process, can the same DPM server start another backup job to backup DB2 (the copy on server1)?

I just want to confirm if the backup window for different DBs can be overlap.

William Yang

Saturday, October 20, 2012 3:55 AM