Word changed ownership of a file on edit/save RRS feed

• Question

• I am the IT admin for a K-12 school district.  I am trying to give my teachers a folder where the students will be able to save their work, once there the teachers can edit the work (add comments, etc) but from the point it is saved by the students onward, the students have read only (can see the teacher's comments, but can't edit the document in the submission folder once they place it there).

I thought I had acheived this by giving the teachers modify access to the folder, students group gets Write to the submissions, and CREATOR/OWNER gets Read and Execute (this way students can save thier work, and once they do, they get Read Execute through CREATOR/OWNER).

I can test it all with my administrator account and it works like a charm, however, when a teacher tries to edit a document, they are taking ownership when they save.  It looks like Word is replacing the orginal file with a new file owned by the teacher's account when the teacher saves. I found this link which seems to corroborate that.

I don't understand why this isn't also happening for my administrative user account (which gets its permissions through the BUILTIN\Administrators ACE.

Here is the output of Get-ACL on an example document from PowerShell:

PS H:\> $acl = get-acl "L:\Teacher\S2 3(A) Study Hall - Half Year\Submissions\StudentWork.docx" PS H:\> $acl.access FileSystemRights : ReadAndExecute, Synchronize AccessControlType : Allow IdentityReference : School\StudentAccount
    IsInherited : True InheritanceFlags : None PropagationFlags : None FileSystemRights : Modify, Synchronize AccessControlType : Allow IdentityReference : LPS\Teacher1 IsInherited : True InheritanceFlags : None PropagationFlags : None FileSystemRights : ReadAndExecute, Synchronize AccessControlType : Allow IdentityReference : LPS\School Principals IsInherited : True InheritanceFlags : None PropagationFlags : None FileSystemRights : ReadAndExecute, Synchronize AccessControlType : Allow IdentityReference : LPS\School Document Administrators IsInherited : True InheritanceFlags : None PropagationFlags : None FileSystemRights : FullControl AccessControlType : Allow IdentityReference : BUILTIN\Administrators IsInherited : True InheritanceFlags : None PropagationFlags : None

Once the teacher edits and saves the document, the School\StudentAccount ACE will dissapear.

If I use my admin account istead of a teacher account, the School\StudentAccount ACE remains unchanged. 

If I test with a simple .txt file, everything works well for the teacher and admin account.  This seems to be Word or Office related behavior.

Can anyone help me get the teachers to update these documents without taking ownership?

Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:33 PM

All replies

• Could you perhaps work around the problem by converting the documents to PDF once the teachers have added their comments?

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:27 PM
  • We need the ability to for the students to resubmit the document with changes and teacher comments preserved, so I don't want to change the document type.  Any  ideas as to why my admin account works OK?  Whats the difference between the save procedure on that account or a teacher account?

I've tried giving the teacher account Full Control (just like the working admin account) but there was no change in behavior. 

I also tried taking away the Take Ownership permission from the teacher account, but that didn't work either.  Probably because the original file is being deleted and replaced by the edited copy as opposed to a change of ownership on the original file.

I tried putting the teacher account into a group, since my account works and got it's permission through a group.  That didn't help either.

Friday, November 30, 2012 2:02 PM
  • Since my admin account gets permission through the server's Administrators group, I tried making a local group on the file server and giving the teacher permissions through that.  Still no change though.  The original file was deleted on save and replaced with a file that the teacher's account became owner of.

Maddening. 

Friday, November 30, 2012 3:33 PM
  • "LPSMMB" wrote in message news:cb72a882-302f-43fd-9cbf-33b0923b4064@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Since my admin account gets permission through the server's Administrators group, I tried making a local group on the file server and giving the teacher permissions through that. Still no change though. The original file was deleted on save and replaced with a file that the teacher's account became owner of.

Maddening.

Sorry, access rights and permissions in Windows is beyond my expertise... If you don’t get a reply here, try asking in a Windows forum.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Friday, November 30, 2012 7:25 PM