App-v Installation Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello experts!,

I have got a chance to work on app-v so i am exploring this software, but hitting with road blocks . I have worked on symantec workspace streaming software , so i am not new to app virtualization.

My setup:

I have 300 clients on to which i have to perform app virtualization

I have windows xp and windows 7 clients with 6 applications to stream

I do not want to use SCCM (budgetory contraints )

I read technet article and found that App-v has following components

a) Mgmt server

b) webservice

c) content folder

d) data store

e) sequencer

f) streaming server

g) client

Question:

a) Can any one point me in right direction to install the above components , i am not understanding which components needs to be installed first ?, do i need to follow any sequence ?

b) Also the technet documentation is very confusin, i am not understanding where to start reading.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc843806.aspx

c) i have downloaded MDOP 4.6 and stuck .

Please assist.

Thursday, May 6, 2010 7:30 AM

Answers

• Hi..

I would probably start with the trial guide (http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/7/8/f784a197-73be-48ff-83da-4102c05a6d44/MSAppVirt45Trial_Guide_Final.docx) as this will walk you through an install, but just to answer your specific question:

The Management Server is the key bit for deploying the apps; the WebService and Content Folder are both part of this component.

The Data store is where the configuration is held and will be either local to the Management Server or on another SQL box

The Sequencer is used to create the app packages - essentially this is a clean (virtual) machine; there's lots of guidance available on how to configure this.

The Streaming Server is not important to you just yet; you can think of it as a proxy management server (in respect of the streaming element) in larger/hybrid deployments.

The Client receives the apps.

Hope it helps,

Danny

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, May 6, 2010 4:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by BitMask Monday, May 10, 2010 9:45 AM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 8:50 AM

All replies

• Hi..

I would probably start with the trial guide (http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/7/8/f784a197-73be-48ff-83da-4102c05a6d44/MSAppVirt45Trial_Guide_Final.docx) as this will walk you through an install, but just to answer your specific question:

The Management Server is the key bit for deploying the apps; the WebService and Content Folder are both part of this component.

The Data store is where the configuration is held and will be either local to the Management Server or on another SQL box

The Sequencer is used to create the app packages - essentially this is a clean (virtual) machine; there's lots of guidance available on how to configure this.

The Streaming Server is not important to you just yet; you can think of it as a proxy management server (in respect of the streaming element) in larger/hybrid deployments.

The Client receives the apps.

Hope it helps,

Danny

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, May 6, 2010 4:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by BitMask Monday, May 10, 2010 9:45 AM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 8:50 AM
  • Hi ,

Thank you for pointing me to the right direction, i have successfully installed the server.

a) windows 2008 domain

b) windows 2008 - appvserver

c) installed sql server 2005

d) installed mgmt server

installaiton was success

Thanks to the fantastic and quick response danny , you deserve a chill beer.

next i will be deploying the sequencer and post a new thread if i am stuck , please help me out :)

Monday, May 10, 2010 9:45 AM