Critical Error Message - Start button not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We installed Windows 10 on our computer many months ago when the offer to take up Windows 10 kept popping on our screen. Once having set Windows 10 we got to use all it wonderful feature. A month or so late we noticed we cannot use the Start button nor the calendar/time feature on the bottom right corner of the screen. If we click on the Window image (Start button) bottom left corner we get a Critical error button and cannot use the computer until we re-start. This being a office computer we do not have the time to start and re-start so many times. Cannot get access to Word or Excel or anything that was on the Start button feature.

Please advice how we can fix this issue?

Kind Regards

Nithya

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 11:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• I am trying to send a picture of the Critical error message and I am getting the message that cannot put image in the body text. If you have an email address I can forward the Critical Error Message to you.

Awaiting your reply,

Cheers

Nithya

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 11:59 PM
  • Hello,

See if this fix helps you:

http://www.kapilarya.com/fix-your-start-menu-isnt-working-windows-10

Hope this helps, Good luck :)

Windows Insider MVP, MS MVP (2014-2016)

Thursday, July 28, 2016 1:55 AM
  • Hi Nithya,

Please refer to this official link for assistance.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12385/windows-10-troubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

In addition, you can also run the command below in PowerShell as administrator to reregister Start Menu.

Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}

Have a try.

Regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 29, 2016 3:12 AM
  • I have this SAME problem. The kicker is that it's ONLY the start menu, the calendar, the action center, and the volume button.

CORTANA WORKS FINE. None of the solutions to help Cortana work here. They are completely worthless, and variably damaging.

Additionally - The Start Menu in 10 is pretty much garbage and I can get everything I need by right clicking it. The calendar, volume, and action center are a much, much bigger deal.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 3:36 AM