avi plays well in PowerPoint 2010 but not in Windows media player RRS feed

• Question

• I have in interesting issue. I received a pptx file with an embedded avi video. The video plays without any choppiness when I play it in PowerPoint 2010 on Windows 7.  However, I was asked to convert the pptx to an Abode Captivate project so that I could load into our Learning Management System. So I needed to "break" up the pptx into its component files, which I did by changing the .pptx extension to .zip, then uncompressing (in Windows). Worked fine. However, when I then played the extracted avi file in Windows Media Player and (in Windows Movie Maker) it was extremely choppy and jerky. This was not the case when playing the file in PowerPoint. 

My question, is it possible that extraction somehow corrupted the file? You would intuitively think that the native avi when played directly by WMP outside the pptx "wrapper" would run more efficiently on the PC, not less.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Friday, October 24, 2014 12:47 PM

Answers

• Generally choppy and jerky video is due to codec problem. What happens if you try to play the file with a different media player?

You may also try MediaInfo , it can tell you what the AVI files was encoded with.

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

Saturday, October 25, 2014 1:07 AM