Hyper V under Windows 8.1 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• I am a customer who has just invested in the full version of Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)

NB: There is no client-server relationship here, just one PC.

However, I have important 32-bit only applications that I have found won't even install on this 64-bit OS, and they need a GPU to run them.

PS: Please don't suggest that I do not use the 32-applications, as 64-bit versions are not available. Thank you.

Anyway, so to solve this I have installed a 32-bit Windows version in a VM using Hyper V, and my applications will install ok within that VM. So far, so good.

However, they still won't run because they can't detect the GPU!

How do I get this "RemoteFX vGPU" thing working so they can detect the GPU in my machine?

This must be a very, very common scenario for everyone thinking of upgrading to Windows 8.1 Pro.

Will Microsoft help out, or do I need to maintain a second PC just for my 32-bit applications?

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 11:35 AM

All replies

• It (any application) cannot detect RemoteFX vGPU as a GPU. You need to assign the GPU to VM as discrete device assignment. Hence, you need to install windows 10 on you computer, install Hyper-v role, create 32 bit VM again and to this VM, assign you physical GPU as pass through device and then install the relevant drivers inside this VM.

BTW, if you are looking for cloud based solution, at apps4rent.com, we do provide cloud desktop's/VDI's powered by NVIDIA tesla GPUs.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 5:33 PM