none
Hours for a task in my MS project file don't add up!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

i have a project in MS project, and one two of the tasks are acting strangely......the duration is 10 days, and ALL of my resources are spending 100% or 75% of their time during that 10 day period on that task  (22 resources).  Yet, the hours shown on the "work" column is only 198 hrs! what gives? it should be MUCH higher.

the hours of all other tasks is showing up fine.  no issues.  (ie. if two resources spend 50% of their time during two days, it shows as 8 hrs in the work column)

Please help me figure this out........

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

on tab View, you van select different views. In section task views, you will find Task Usage, in section Resource there is Resource Usage. If you can't find them, click on any of the drop down buttons "More Views", sleect More Views and find one of these views in the list. Select and click on apply.

Let us know, if it works
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by Sharpd1 Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:02 PM
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

try to assign a Usage view (Resource Usage or Task Usage) and have a look at

• Start and Finish Dates on assignment level
    • Work in timephased grid

I assume, that assignments of some resource don't have same duration as task.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Hi,

try to assign a Usage view (Resource Usage or Task Usage) and have a look at

• Start and Finish Dates on assignment level
    • Work in timephased grid

I assume, that assignments of some resource don't have same duration as task.

Regards
    Barbara

thanks Barbara,

how do i assign a usage view? i tried adding a column and selecting usage view from the drop down....but that field doesn't exist in there....

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:24 PM
  • Hi,

on tab View, you van select different views. In section task views, you will find Task Usage, in section Resource there is Resource Usage. If you can't find them, click on any of the drop down buttons "More Views", sleect More Views and find one of these views in the list. Select and click on apply.

Let us know, if it works
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by Sharpd1 Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:02 PM
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:28 PM
  • Hi,

Let us know, if it works
    Barbara

yes, thank you.

i'm looking at the resources and the work hours per resource.  some are red, which of course indicates over allocation.

1. I've replaced both of the tasks in my original question and reallocated the resources and the duration and now the work hours are correct.  i then deleted the original two and so we're good to go on that.  i still don't know what it was showing 198 hours for one and 217 for the other (as opposed to 9k and 17k hours).

2. Could you tell me how i can figure out which resources i need to add in order to eliminate the over allocation?

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:52 PM