Adding Footnotes in a pre-existing document (Word 2010) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a document that was already typed and cited.  All of the citations are in footnote format.  In addition, the document is divided into sections, and the footnotes restart at each new section. 

Now for my dilemma:  When I go into the document and make changes, then try to add a footnote for those changes, it is almost as if the previous footnotes didn't exist (at least not as footnotes anyway).  For example: if I make a change to the section 1 of the document between footnotes 3 and 4, then add a new footnote, it would be assumed that the new one would be inserted between 3 and 4, it would become #4, and that the rest of the footnotes after that insertion would go up by one.  What is happening instead, is that it does insert itself between 3 and 4, but it labels itself as #1.  Moving forward in the document, pretend that the next change I make is in section 2, between section 2's footnotes 5 and 6.  Again, it would be safe to assume that the new footnote should be the new number 6, and all the rest in the section would bump up by one.  Instead, it inserts itself between 5 and 6, but becomes #2 (since #1 was in my example back in section 1) instead. 

Is there anyway to make it conform to the prescribed footnote numbers that are already in the document?!?  Help!  Thanks!

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 6:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Normally, footnotes should behave the way you describe them. Maybe your document has been converted from a different file format (such as WordPerfect)? In that case, the existing footnotes may not be true footnotes in Word.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 7:38 PM
  • That was my thought as well, but it's inserting the footnotes into the right places.  It's just the numbering that's wrong (i.e. - if I put my first footnote after the pre-made footnote #5, it inserts my new one as #1, but between the previous 5 and 6)
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 7:51 PM
  • Are you sure they're: (a) footnotes and not endnotes; and (b) not ordinary text that just happens to look like footnotes (as will be the case for documents saved from a PDF)?

For (a), assuming the footnotes have been corrupted, see: http://www.msofficeforums.com/word-vba/16610-repair-two-interspersed-endnote-numbering-schemes.html
    Note that you'll need to temporarily convert the footnotes to endnotes to use the macro there.

For (b), see: http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_pages/convert_reference_notes_to_dynamic_footnotes.html

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by George123345 Wednesday, June 4, 2014 8:11 AM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 3:08 AM