none
IE11 Temporary Internet Files Settings GPO RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I´ve created a GPO to decrease the Temporary Internet Files Amount from the default 250 MB to the desired 50 MB. In this GPO I changed the default registry settings "CacheLimit" under "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Content" to the 50 MB.

After the user logged on i checked the registry to verify if rhe gpo is applied successfully, and the value was changed correctly to 50 MB. However, after starting the Internet Explorer and checking the properties, the default value of 250 MB space appears. Refreshing the registry reveals that my 50 MB setting was simply overwritten to the default value of 250 MB after starting Internet Explorer.

Why is this happening and how can i prevent that?

thanks & bye

Philipp

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Could you please have a share with the network environment and the IE version?

To increase the Disk space used in temporary Internet Files, we should configure the following two registries:

1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Content

Change the CacheLimit value to the size you want (change the Base to Decimal);

2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Content

Change the CacheLimit value to the same size in step one.

Please check if the above could solve the issue.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please have a share with the network environment and the IE version?

To increase the Disk space used in temporary Internet Files, we should configure the following two registries:

1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Content

Change the CacheLimit value to the size you want (change the Base to Decimal);

2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Content

Change the CacheLimit value to the same size in step one.

Please check if the above could solve the issue.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:33 AM
  • doesn't appear to work on Win8.1 64b machine running IE11. The keys get changed correctly.

I'm actually even seeing the keys change in the registry when updating them via IE11 but if updating only in the registry it's not showing the same settings back in IE. 

any thoughts?

Sam

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 9:49 PM
  • True, When updating from IE11 the registry entries got updated.

But when we update the above Registry entries those are not reflecting in IE11.

Does any one has a solution?

Thanks in Advance.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 6:33 PM