none
fim and external sharepoint services server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Please help me, i am new to fim and sharepoint.

My company has a FIM 2010 server installed and synced with our AD. We need these

server to connect to an external sharepoint services server (by external i mean a standalone server configured and hosted in a cloud,not part of a farm) so that users from our domain can sign on with their domain un and pw.

What i need and how to achieve this task?

Can some one please advise me? 

Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:58 AM

Answers

• One approach (the one my compnay uses in its SharePoint MA) is to have a server-side agent that uses the SharePoint Server Object Model to do the user creation and other activities, and write a FIM ECMA to send commands to the agent. This was required in MOSS 2007 and earlier.

Since you're on 2010, you can use PowerShell, or even the Data Services interface to get users in and out of SP. This is probably a days worth of development for someone familiar with the technologies.

Frank C. Drewes III - Architect - Oxford Computer Group

Monday, October 15, 2012 3:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Your question is not clear. But try to answer.

If you mean fim create a trust between two forests, that you have to create manually.But if you mean you want to create users in other forest, that fim will create same way as you did with already installed AD. When you create the MA for that give the credentials of that forest.

Regards,

M. Irfan

• Proposed as answer by M.Irfan Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:09 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:09 PM
  • Hi,thank you for your answer and sorry for my poor english skills.

What i want to achieve is to enable our users to use their ad credentials on that remote ss server and FIM should be the vessel to that. 

The problem is how to connect FIM to that SS which it cannot be a member of any ad.It must remain standalone.

Again sorry and thanks.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:25 PM
  • Hi,

I am sorry. I did not mean that you feel bad and I was not talking about English.

Any way FIM contact with AD and Db system or other LDAP.

But you can manage the resources with power shell scripts and C# and you said you are new with FIM.

I am sorry but then you have to work with power shell.

Regards,

M. Irfan

Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Hi Again,

But if you install AD or join that computer in domain then its really not a problem.

Regards

M. Irfan

Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:31 PM
  • Hi,

I'm very grateful for your answers and suggestions.

As far i read the more i'm convinced that FIM is not 

intended for out of the box connections to SS as in my case.

Unfortunately the SS server must remain standalone.

May I ask how should  I approach to using shell scripts? What to use to parse them into FIM? 

And what to use on the SS side? 

Very best regards

Friday, October 12, 2012 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

Here is some examples. It will give you some idea how to use PS scripts in FIM. There are 100,s sites and also some one write a MA for PS scripts. You can search for that also.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff720152%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff394179.aspx

Here is link for power shell MA. You can contact with him for binary.

http://blog.goverco.com/2012/06/ecma-2-powershell-management-agent-10.html

Regards,

M. Irfan

• Proposed as answer by M.Irfan Friday, October 12, 2012 10:08 AM
    Friday, October 12, 2012 10:08 AM
  • One approach (the one my compnay uses in its SharePoint MA) is to have a server-side agent that uses the SharePoint Server Object Model to do the user creation and other activities, and write a FIM ECMA to send commands to the agent. This was required in MOSS 2007 and earlier.

Since you're on 2010, you can use PowerShell, or even the Data Services interface to get users in and out of SP. This is probably a days worth of development for someone familiar with the technologies.

Frank C. Drewes III - Architect - Oxford Computer Group

Monday, October 15, 2012 3:02 AM