"An Unexpected Error Has Occurred" on first few attempts to access dashboard RRS feed

  • Question

  • We have onc dashboard where, each morning, we have to attempt to open it 2-3 times before it will load. Subsequent loads of the dashboard and navigating around within it, work just fine until the next morning. When it does not load, after about 45-60 seconds (it's somewhat variable), we get the dreaded "An Unexpected error has occurred" with a correlationID. Looking in the diaglogs for Sharepoint, I find that correlationID, but no error messages. The last message is usually something along the lines of "Leaving Monitored Scope (ExecuteWcfServerOperation). Execution Time=67817.2458371106". The dashboard is using multiple data sources, the main one of which is an SSAS cube. I've worked on our Aggregation Design and have improved query performance, but not this issue. To test whether it was a timeout and SSAS caching query results resulting in eventual success by getting the dashboard to work by trying it several times, then clearing the SSAS cache and trying again, but it still works, so I don't thing the issue is SSAS. The Windows Event log does not have any messages around the time of the attempts to load the dashboard either. Is there another log somewhere that may have a clue for me? Has anyone seen a similar issue before? One last thing is that the problem occurs in both of our sharepoint installations and in each of the sites within (we have multiple sites on one sharepoint install for dev/test/stage, etc).



    Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:29 PM

All replies

  • What version of SharePoint are you using?

    What does the design of the dashboard page look like, how many of each PPS items are on it and how many different data sources are being accessed and which types?

    I would suggest using a SharePoint warm up script to help get your dashboard going in the morning (http://spwarmup4admin.codeplex.com/) and if that does not help than look at possibly sending some MDX warm up scripts to your cube(s) as well each morning.

    Dan English's BI Blog

    Monday, September 2, 2013 8:26 PM
  • Thanks for the reply! and sorry for my late response, I've been out of the office on vacation. 

    This is on Sharepoint 2010 and SSAS 2008R2.

    The Dashboard consists of 6 filters, a dashboard, 2 KPIs, 22 reports, 30 scorecards. There are four data sources, three are SQL and used to populate pick lists. The fourth is SSAS and has the data itself. The problem itself appears only with only roughly half of the reports which are grouped together and accessed from a single aspx

    I had previously tried a warmup script. One called SPWakeUp (http://spwakeup.codeplex.com/) with no luck. I'll give some MDX warmup scripts a shot and report back tomorrow. Thanks again!

    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:03 PM
  • I performed a Profiler trace of SSAS capturing all MDX queries executed while the dashboard loads. I then set up a Powershell script calling ASCMD (from the sample code projects, since Invoke-ascmd is 2012-only) to execute all the MDX queries that took over 250ms and run the script immediately after the daily cube processing is complete to warm up the cube for this dashboard. It now loads in less than a minute. :) 

    Thanks for your help! My next task is to figure out how to use the Create Cache statement as in this article to do the same in a more elegant manner. 

    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:08 PM