none
Steady State problems/bugs need help RRS feed

• Question

• I have been working with steady state for the past week, tweaking settings and such, and i have come across a few things i need some help with.  First thing is a kind of bug i guess.  The IE7 home page i want set will not work.  I have it set in IE7 internet options and in steadystate option for home page.  For some reason dell.com is always the page displayed when i open IE7.  If you click home, it will take you to my set homepage.  Dell.com appears nowhere in my homepage settings and anywhere in my steadystate settings and the problem only occurs in this newly created user with steadystate.  I have disabled all IE blocks and settings to allow all the one time IE7 setting configurations and pages to run.  This has not helped and I am stumped as to a fix for this issue. 

Second issue is more of a question of possibility.  I need the user to have access to wireless network connections for more of a troubleshooting just in case use.  I however do not want the user to have access to the control panel.  I have found that in order to be able to view/manipulate the wireless settings, control panel has to be allowed in the steadystate options.  Does anyone know a way around this, Is it possible to enable just the wireless utility without enabling the rest of the control panel.  I have tried placing the icon on the desktop and i have removed it from blocked programs, but the icon will not work unless control panel is allowed.

Monday, June 23, 2008 6:14 PM

Answers

•  

Hi, this issue does not appear on my computer, you can try the following method and check the result:

1.       Use Windows XP/Windows Vista to create new user and then use SteadyState to set restrictions.

2.       Check if this appears in newly created account with Administrator privilege.

For the second issue, I'd like to inform you that though we do not have this setting in SteadyState, we can still try the following method to set WZC service and see the result:

1.       Click Start menu>Run

2.       Type "services.msc"

3.       Search for Wireless Zero configuration

4.       Right click the service and select properties

5.       Set Startup type to Automatic, select Start, and select OK.

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:18 AM
  • Ran into the same issue.  Mapquest is loading JavaScript from a different site to display ads.  I added the following URLs to my content filter to resolve the issue:

*.mqcdn.com/*

*.aolcdn.com/*

Hope this helps!!

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 5:39 PM

All replies

•  

Hi, this issue does not appear on my computer, you can try the following method and check the result:

1.       Use Windows XP/Windows Vista to create new user and then use SteadyState to set restrictions.

2.       Check if this appears in newly created account with Administrator privilege.

For the second issue, I'd like to inform you that though we do not have this setting in SteadyState, we can still try the following method to set WZC service and see the result:

1.       Click Start menu>Run

2.       Type "services.msc"

3.       Search for Wireless Zero configuration

4.       Right click the service and select properties

5.       Set Startup type to Automatic, select Start, and select OK.

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:18 AM
  • For my second issue, the problem is not about connecting to the internet, that should happen automatically. The problem is for the times there is an error of some sort.  We need to be able to diagnose where the connection problem is, whether it is the router or the laptop itself.  This cannot be done unless we can view and manipulate internet connections, which cannot be done unless control panel is enabled.  It seems there is no answer to this, but possibly something to look into adding into the next version of steadystate.  Ability to disable portions of the control panel without locking down the rest. 

On a different note, any thoughts on why i cant get mapquest.com to come up while IE is restricted to certain websites only.  I have tried www.mapquest.com    mapquest.com    *.mapquest.com.  The only one that kind of worked was www.mapquest.com, the page partially displayed, then a message saying "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://www.mapquest.com/.  Operation aborted"  Any info would be helpful, thank you

Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:33 PM
  • Ran into the same issue.  Mapquest is loading JavaScript from a different site to display ads.  I added the following URLs to my content filter to resolve the issue:

*.mqcdn.com/*

*.aolcdn.com/*

Hope this helps!!

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 5:39 PM
  •  

I am having issue with setting the home page as well, none of the suggestions here have helped me.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 3:29 PM