Unclear on PSTN Usages, Routes and gateways RRS feed

• Question

• I think I understand the concept of assigning specific Voice Policies to users/sites.  It allows me to grant certain features or limit the types of calls those users/sites can make and to which gateway they will be routed to.

In my current deployment it's at a single central site with one gateway which is our IP-PBX with a SIP trunk to Lync.  Since all of my PSTN Usages (Internal, Local, Long Distance) point to the same route which is using the only gateway does it really matter if they are defined as Internal, Local or Long Distance?  I mean, I could just associate Internal with my voice policy, and users with that policy could still dial long distance based on my Route and Trunk translation rules.

I'm not sure I understand the number patterns on the Routes either.  I'm currenlty using .* as my pattern so that is accepting all calls from lync, right?  Then my only route has my IP-PBX as the gateway and all three PSTN Usages associated.  This is effectiviely taking any number dialed that isn't assigned to a Lync user as their Lineuri and routing it to my IP-PBX, correct?
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 4:27 PM

Answers

• You're absolutely right! In such a simple deployment you do not need to do more as long as all users are allowed to call anyone worldwide.
    Johann Deutinger | MCITP Lync 2010 | MCTS Exchange 2010 | ucblog.deutinger.de
    • Proposed as answer by jwdberlin Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by tpullins Friday, April 1, 2011 5:54 PM
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:56 PM

All replies

• You're absolutely right! In such a simple deployment you do not need to do more as long as all users are allowed to call anyone worldwide.
    Johann Deutinger | MCITP Lync 2010 | MCTS Exchange 2010 | ucblog.deutinger.de
    • Proposed as answer by jwdberlin Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by tpullins Friday, April 1, 2011 5:54 PM
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:56 PM
  • Thanks jwdberlin.  I imagine it gets a lot more complicated when dealing with different physical locations that have different gateways and requirements.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:41 PM