none
Having problems installing Microsoft Security Compliance Manager

Question

• Having major problems installing Microsoft Security Compliance Manager.

Tried on Server A and encountered Error 1603 when installing on existing sql express 2008r2 instances

Therefore tried to add a new instance in sql express and still encountered Error 1603 error after some time, therefore decided to remove all sql express instances and sql server express, I then installed the Microsoft Security Compliance Manager. afresh and now once the installation start I eventually get an error message: Unknown error (0x84b40000)

I have even tried to install this on another server without sql server express installed and encounter the same error: Unknown error (0x84b40000)

space536

I have also referenced the log file being generated on failure;

Overall summary:
      Final result:                  SQL Server installation failed. To continue, investigate the reason for the failure, correct the problem, uninstall SQL Server, and then rerun SQL Server Setup.
      Exit code (Decimal):           -2068578304
      Exit facility code:            1204
      Exit error code:               0
      Exit message:                  Network Service or Local Service account is not permitted for the SQL Server service on a domain contoller. Specify a different account.
      Start time:                    2016-11-08 11:37:25
      End time:                      2016-11-08 11:37:40
      Requested action:              Install

Referencing the Exit Message: I am unable to define the Network Service or Local Service when installing Microsoft Security Compliance Manager 

• Edited by space536 Tuesday, November 8, 2016 10:44 AM Unresolved
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 10:31 AM

All replies

• Not sure if you ever got around this error, but I just went through the same issue and wanted to share my resolution.  I was installing on Windows 10 x64.  The version of SQL Express in the SCM installer is x86 instead of x64.  I downloaded SQL Express 2008 x64 and installed it using the command line from the SCM install log but changed the exe for SQL Express to be x64 - mine was this, but your pathing my differ:  

C:\My Documents\SCM\SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe /QUIET /Hideconsole /ACTION=Install /ENABLERANU /FEATURES=SQLEngine /INSTANCENAME="MicrosoftSCM" /SQLCOLLATION="SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" /SQLSVCStartuptype=2 /BROWSERSVCStartupType=4 /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="BUILTIN\Administrators" /ERRORREPORTING=1

Once I installed SQL Express 2008 x64, the SCM install proceeded fine.  Hopefully someone from the SCM team will see this and can make the necessary change to address this issue.

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 4:17 PM
  • Hi

I am not sure if you managed to fix the issue, but I just want to help others with the solution I have found for this. After a failed installation, I have checked the summary.txt log file in the SQL installation folder. It usually: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Summary.txt. I have found the errormessage in the log file states: "Attributes do not match. Present attributes (Directory, Archive) , included attributes (0), excluded attributes (Archive, Compressed, Encrypted)"

The problem is that the Microsoft SQL Server folder and its subfolders are marked for Archiving and it causes the SQL Server 2008 Express to be installed. Simply, just go to the property of the folder and unchecke the box "Folder is ready for archiving" and do it for all the subfolders recursively. After this the installation should go without any error.

• Proposed as answer by RλzeŃ Thursday, December 7, 2017 9:26 AM
    Monday, December 4, 2017 4:46 PM
  • "The problem is that the Microsoft SQL Server folder and its subfolders are marked for Archiving and it causes the SQL Server 2008 Express to be installed. Simply, just go to the property of the folder and unchecke the box "Folder is ready for archiving" and do it for all the subfolders recursively. After this the installation should go without any error."

This worked for me.

Thank you Sandor Makai.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 9:27 AM