windows virtual PC 64 bit not working. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have windows 7 ent edition 64 bit on my system. i am able to run xp mode but when i go and click “windows virtual PC" from start->all programs->windows virtual PC -> Windows Virtual PC it open dialog box to search VHD. I need to setup a new VHD but i am not able to find that option.

any help

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:58 AM

Answers

• thanks anyway i got workaround for this. actually the wizard was not opening directly so i went to the c:\windows\system32\VPCWizard .. and now i am able to create new VHD.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:07 AM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 12:01 PM

All replies

• virtual PC -> Windows Virtual PC it open dialog box

If you look towards the top of the Window, there is a Create Virtual Machine button, click that and it will guide you through creating a new virtual machine.

When it gets to the part of asking you about your hard drive (3rd screen I think), opt to select a VHD file and choose the VHD file you created.  Complete the wizard and start the machine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creating a virtual machine in Microsoft Virtual PC

After figuring out how much system resources you need on your computer and how many to allocate to the gust machine you will now create the VM.

1. Open Virtual PC and click on New.
    2. In the New Virtual Machine Wizard click Create a Virtual Machine.
    3. In the Virtual Machine Name and Location click to browse to point to the location where you want to place your new VM. Note that the best location for the VM is on a separate disk and NOT on the same physical disk as your host operating system. If you do not have a separate hard disk in your computer you might consider using a USB 2.0 external hard disk.
    4. In the Operating System window select your required guest operating system. Note the large list of Microsoft-based operating systems. If you plan to install a non-Microsoft OS then choose "Other".
    5. In the Memory window note that Virtual PC tries its best to determine the recommended amount of RAM to allocate to the new guest VM based upon your selection in the previous step. You can manually change that setting.
    6. In the Virtual Hard Disk Options window click to select A New Virtual Hard Disk. If you've already created the hard disk in a different manner (read my "Creating Differencing Disks with Microsoft Virtual PC" article for more info), then select An Existing Hard Disk.
    7. In the Virtual Hard Disk Location window browse to the location of the new hard disk, and give it a proper name. Try to be as specific as possible and try to place each VM in its own folder. You need to specify the size of the new virtual hard disk. Make sure you'll have enough space on it to install whatever OS that you want, and also plan for any additional software or services. Note: Virtual PC uses dynamically expanding disks, meaning they start out as small .VHD files, but the VM itself "sees" them in their full size. As space is taken on the virtual hard disk by the VM, the size of the .VHD file increases.
    8. When you're done click Finish. Your new VM is ready to boot.

Now continue to my "Installing a new OS on a new VM with Microsoft Virtual PC" article in order to learn how to install the required operating system on your new guest VM.

OR

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8254-windows-virtual-pc-create-virtual-machine.html

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 9:02 AM
  • Create dialog box is not appearing. when i click windows virtual PC it open "locate" diaglog box to VHD. please see the screenshot on below link.

http://cid-dce53d0bc145d422.office.live.com/view.aspx/pub/Document1.docx 

Regards,

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 11:56 AM
  • thanks anyway i got workaround for this. actually the wizard was not opening directly so i went to the c:\windows\system32\VPCWizard .. and now i am able to create new VHD.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:07 AM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 12:01 PM