none
Setting up EUR on a file server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to setup the EUR on a file server.  I have the schema extended and checked the box to enable end user recovery.  The protection group is setup for backing up servers and shows the status as ok and i can see recovery points for this group in the console.  I explicitly added my account as an administrator to the file server but I still cannot see previous versions on the folder which is being protected.  I have installed the shadow copy client on the server as well but have not rebooted it yet.  The file server is 2003 standard x64.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 8:01 PM

Answers

• The redX is normal and will not cause problems. 

Are ony of the protected volumes under a mountpoint ?

System account may not not have Full Control on Folder corresponding to the share.

To verify:
    Check to be sure that System account has at least “read” and “list folder contents” permission on the root of the protected volume.
    Check if SYSTEM has access on the folder for the share.

If you map a network drive to the DPM server share, do you see previous versions ?  IE:  net use * \\dpmserver\eur-share  - then look for previous versions ?

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Ben_C Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:18 PM
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 5:30 PM

All replies

• as a follow up I recieved this error once when I extended the schema

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/8db6d415-f7e1-4de5-8a0a-4f8789f88a27/

I followed the fix there removing the shares, they have been recreated by DPM in the same format but with capital letters but I no longer have warnings in the console.  The shares still show with a red x in the sharing and storage manager.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 1:22 PM

• The redX is normal and will not cause problems. 

Are ony of the protected volumes under a mountpoint ?

System account may not not have Full Control on Folder corresponding to the share.

To verify:
    Check to be sure that System account has at least “read” and “list folder contents” permission on the root of the protected volume.
    Check if SYSTEM has access on the folder for the share.

If you map a network drive to the DPM server share, do you see previous versions ?  IE:  net use * \\dpmserver\eur-share  - then look for previous versions ?

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Ben_C Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:18 PM
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 5:30 PM
  • I was able to figure out what my problem was.  The shares were actually in a folder on the D drive of the server.  It was setup for D$\shared\Shared Folders.  When I was looking for the previous versions I was browsing to \\servername\D$\shared\Share_Name\folders.  I should have been browsing to \\servername\ShareName\folders.  then the previous versions tab shows up on the folders under the share.  I found this by viewing net share on the dpm server which showed just servername\sharename.  So it turns out I had this setup correct it was just a problem with the way I was looking for the previous versions.  Thanks for the assistance.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:18 PM