DSAccess server list order and maintenance RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We've got 5 servers listed as Global Catalog servers for Exchange 2007. Event 2080 shows they have identical values. If we take down one server for maintenance what will happen? Will Exchange skip to the next server in the list and mark the server as failed or will queries to this server fail for 15 minutes until the DSAccess process is run again?

Thanks,

Robert

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:43 PM

Answers

• It should use the others, when it discovers again it will be noted in the 2080 event ID.
    Sukh
    • Marked as answer by RTEAL Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:43 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:51 PM
  • 15 minutes is hopeful. In my experience it is more like 35 minutes.
    If you know you are going to take one down, then take the global catalog role off then wait. Exchange will use another one instead.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:52 PM

All replies

• It should use the others, when it discovers again it will be noted in the 2080 event ID.
    Sukh
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:51 PM
  • 15 minutes is hopeful. In my experience it is more like 35 minutes.
    If you know you are going to take one down, then take the global catalog role off then wait. Exchange will use another one instead.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:52 PM
  • Did you find queries failed and were not retried otherwise?
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:59 PM
  • And also, considering there is a "domain controllers used by Exchange" and a "global catalog servers used by Exchange" does Exchange perform different functions against each list? I thought I read that Exchange would only use GCs but in that case I don't understand why there would be a list of DCs, too.

Thank you

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:05 PM
  • This is a good ref for the GC - DC difference.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998825.aspx

I assume if a dc/gc is unavailable Exchange will just try the next in the list. I am assuming 1 in 5 queries will fail until DSaccess updates.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:20 PM
  • Or if you restart the ad toplogy service again, but this will have an impact.
    Sukh
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:24 PM
  • Outlook, in online mode, will itself will be connecting to the global catalogs. The Exchange server refers it the client to a GC, by a process described here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123968(EXCHG.65).aspx (for Exchange 2003 SP3 but I believe the process is the same.) Just to keep in mind what Outlook is doing, not just Exchange. I've seen Outlook throw up errors or logon dialogs when the referred global catalog is having issues.
    • Edited by cn9 Wednesday, October 26, 2011 12:38 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 12:38 AM