Reinstalling windows xp pro with no disc... RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to wipe my hard drive and reinstall windows xp pro. However, I do not have the disk that came with the machine, just the product key. How would I go about performing a clean install?
    Monday, July 22, 2013 1:28 PM

All replies

• Borrow a Windows XP CD from a friend, relative or neighbour.

Remember it must be of the same edition that matches your Product Code, i.e. Home or Professional. Also bear in mind that you will have to download some drivers from the manufacturer’s web site.

To install XP, boot from the CD. You may have to change the first boot device to CD in the BIOS. To do this, when you switch on look for a Setup message indicating which key to start tapping, F2 and Delete are commonly used. The message is not displayed for very long and it you miss it, you will have to restart the computer. In the BIOS, look for a section that contains the boot sequence, change it to CD, save it and let the computer reboot.

The install sequence is to reply to the message Press any key to boot from CD, then press Enter to Set up Windows, press F8 to accept EULA, delete the partition, press Enter, type L to confirm delete, type C to create a partition, choose (Quick) format. Then the installation starts and will reboot so ignore the message to Press any key to boot from CD.

Now the actual install will start and take about 30 minutes. Lastly, download all the missing Microsoft updates.

• Edited by BurrWalnut Monday, July 22, 2013 2:21 PM Typing mistake
    Monday, July 22, 2013 2:20 PM
  • If you borrow a brand named OEM disc it must be the same brand name as your computer system.  Almost all the brand named OEM discs are BIOS locked and will not install on any other brand computer.  A Microsoft Generic OEM disc can be used.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:10 AM