AppV 5: Question about RunVirtual RRS feed

• Question

• We are looking at deploying App-V 5.0 in an RDS environment. One of our goals is to run multiple versions of Java in separate bubbles to support a number of different web applications (each needs a specific Java version). I would like to leverage the RunVirtual feature of App-V 5.0 to achieve this. My question is, can I link iexplore.exe to different Java virtual applications or connection groups? So for example, if one website needs Java 1.6.0_06 and another Java 1.6.0_38, is there a way for iexplore.exe load the appropriate one based on some condition? A different desktop icon perhaps? From what I have read, you can launch iexplore.exe with a number of different packages at once, say Java, Flash, and Acrobat and have them all exist inside the same bubble, but this is sort of the reverse of that. Thoughts?
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 3:59 PM

All replies

• A different icon would work. Just group what's required and have a shortcut which launches IE and has access to the Java required.

You could sequence Java and create a shortcut pointing to iexplore.exe http://website.com then create a connection group so that Java with shorcut is connected with your Java and Adobe Reader or whatever.

Or alternatively you could not connect Adobe Reader and Flash if you deploy those locally. Your App-V application would then see your Java in the virtual bubble and use that and when needed could use Flash and Adobe Reader on the local machine (if you deploy those locally)

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:56 PM
  • RunVirtual is global only and it can only apply a single connection group/package per executable.

If you're looking at making multiple Java plugins more seamless to the user, then I would recommend investigating Browsium Ion: http://www.browsium.com/ion/

It should be possible to integration Ion with Java packages delivered via App-V to keep the isolation approach of app virtualization.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:30 PM
  • Our design goal with the RDS farm is to be 100% virtual from an application perspective, so hopefully local application interaction will not be an issue.

As to your suggestion, I think you may have somewhat missed my goal (or more likely I didn't explain it well enough).

Here is our dilemma:

Website #1 requires Java 1.6.0_06
    Website #2 requires Java 1.6.0_38

With the RunVirtual feature, as I understand it, you enter the package GUID and Version of a package to the iexplore.exe registry key and Internet Explorer will load into the bubble with the associated package.  In my case, I don't want, and can't have, both Java versions running inside of the same bubble, but it appears that I can only add the IDs for one package to the RunVirtual keys. Is this correct? 

My thought would be to sequence two virtual packages with icons to launch the respective websites and build the following connection groups

CG1 --> Website1.appv and Java 1.6.0_06.appv
    CG2 --> Website2.appv and Java 1.6.0_38.appv

This is straightforward enough. My issue lies in the iexplore.exe RunVirtual keys. Can I associate it with both connection groups in some way?

Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:31 PM
  • RunVirtual is global only and it can only apply a single connection group/package per executable.

If you're looking at making multiple Java plugins more seamless to the user, then I would recommend investigating Browsium Ion: http://www.browsium.com/ion/

It should be possible to integration Ion with Java packages delivered via App-V to keep the isolation approach of app virtualization.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

This looks promising on initial read. I'll let you know more when I look more deeply into it.
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:34 PM