Sharepoint Secure Page RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to setup a secure page in Sharepoint that only selected managment has access.  This page will contain a list of PDF's produced in Accounting that contain sensitive finacial information.  I want to make sure that those who have access to this Sharepoint page can only Read these documents.

They cannot delete or edit in any way.  But I also do not want them to copy or send these documents anywhere.  They cannot print or e-mail them at all.  Is there a way I can give access to users to these PDF files so they can read them, but prevent them from doing all the other above mentioned tasks??

I am using an older version of Sharepoint 2003

Greg I

Friday, March 15, 2013 7:33 PM

All replies

• Without implementing Windows rights management there is no way to give users access to view PDF files without also giving them access to download them. You could create a library and save the PDFs as web pages to lock them into view only, but they would still be able to take screenshots of the pages that could be sent.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Principal Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Friday, March 15, 2013 7:54 PM
  • Thanks,

I have Sharepoint 2003 so I maybe limited as to what I can do with this.  I am not really an expert Sharepoint Admin so I am not certain.  Is there a way in Sharepoint to keep a log of activity to a particular library of files.  If I acnnot prevent thenfrom downloading or copy can I at least log it and produce a report so managment can see any abusers??  Any easy way to do that?

Thanks I appreciate all the help I can get.

Greg

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:54 PM
  • Its been a while, but if I remember correctly there is the ability to turn on auditing in SharePoint 2003.  But that will only give you a record of people who have downloaded the PDF files.  The problem is that there is no way to view the PDF without downloading the file.  So the audit logs if they are available will record who accessed the file, but won't really tell you what they did with it because it can only audit what happens on the server.  Once the PDF is downloaded for viewing you can't track (from the server) what happens to it on the client.  For that you would need rights management.  I also seem to remember that Windows Rights Management worked with SharePoint 2003 also.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Principal Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:51 PM