Vista error 0x80070091 stopped installation RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone have same problem and a fix?

Thanks!

Sunday, July 23, 2006 3:01 PM

Answers

• This totally works!!! Thank you, I did your first option and it worked immediately. You don't even know how much time I spent getting frustrated over this! Your a genius!!!!

Saturday, September 13, 2008 8:22 PM

All replies

• ye i am yet i get this trying to deleat a file. it say this error code (0x80080091) and would you like to retry so im there pressing it madly to no sucses
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 9:52 PM
  • in vista go in organize folder and search options and go into view tab a

nd uncheck hide protected operating system files  and click show hidden files and folders.

thought this may help! as i have the same problem with a merged logi drive i used to have because i split my c drive and re merged it and now im stuck with the logi leftovers

Any more questions send to either george.americandragon@googlemail.com ( i keep this open 24 7 ) rabbitbarnes@msn.com (only mon to friday and some times saturday)

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 5:32 PM
  • I can not delete the directorys with this darn error code, speciically APPLE/Mobile Device Support

This directory comes up with error 0x80070091 and I can not delete the directory and it will not allow itunes to be installed until I can fix this.  

If you can help me, can you please email me with the subject

Error Code 0x80070091    FIX

My email address is:  [redacted]

Thank you!

Charles

Saturday, July 28, 2007 10:39 AM
  • Well my previous experience of vista and itunes is that you should sanc your computer for viruses (as there are computer modding viruses that can render your computer invalid )

There are some similar problem with adobe as well.

i had a problem with the partition magic left over file when i clean installed and i could not delete it and came up with directory is not empty.

The BEST plan is to downgrade using a full version of xp and boot it up from the start (many have problems and can not do this but i have succeeded

The second plan is to back up your documents and all other bits and bobs other then system files and programes (thats were the problem recides) then you reinstall vista

third plan is to do a chkdisc then (it will try or not even bother to try and fix this error) look up in the registry under software and see if you can see any biular codes (if your unsure look up in google they will tell you) then go to Add and remove programes and look at the array of installed programes and any you do not use or reconize and get rid of them (theres a programe that looks like cdclone but it isnt and it VOIDS any antiviruses)

then goto apple or itunes (how ever you may type it in) and download another file (make sure you have quick time installed ) and see if it will install

My guess it may be a virus or a file you had before upgrade/clean install that remains on your computer wich you may or may not be able to delete and if you do it may or may not damage your computer and i have had the problem with the left over file and i didnt touch it as it would moranlikly void my HD so i would either back up and reinstall or downgrade (this is the best option as vista holds many bug and takes up alot of memory 20gb and xp takes 3gb i think xp rules over that and any way its only about style and i dont even know why i bought it £200  a big waste of money id say. if you really like vista downgrade and get a vista theme because its only just like xp media centre exept with a few cheap/*** addins that take up valuble cpu speed ) the start up time for me with my laptop amd turion 64 mobile tech was 15 seconds and shut down time 40 now with xp its 5 seconds start up and 10 shut down . i would downgrade before its too late !.

and also not all programes have vista compatability they may say they do but they still have lots of problems.

i had my first virus when i installed vista my first

get out of the fire and downgrade . why do you think microsoft have dropped prices its because no one is buying it

vista Home p

219 . 99 and now its 199.99 and i got home basic for free so there really desperate to get people to buy it if you want to down grade i can aid you with a few tips and if you cannot downgrade i can tell you were to get a good copy from which i might as well tell you now is hp (do a clean install) only do this if you cannot install your own.

sure vista is lovly with the effects and that but i do not regret downgrading one little bit !

need any more help then email me again .

the apple thing is moranlikly an unsolveable while vista is running the only way to fix it is clean install

PS is you upgraded / clean install you may find your old files from xp in my computer under old or system old somthing like that is could reside in there.

Hope this helps

Im learning every day so go and adventure and reconize the regi so you will realize if somthing has invaded your precious files!

Bye

Saturday, July 28, 2007 12:02 PM
  • I uninstall security, Trend Micro Security, file corrupted. This file unable to delete because "Unexpected error is preventing the operation. Make a note of this error code, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve this problem:

Error 0x80070091: The directory is not empty. I am not able to delete file, and I tried to install security but not able to reinstall again.

Monday, November 5, 2007 5:37 AM
  • Yeah, I had this exact same problem!!!!   A lot of people are running into disk errors with Vista.  The chkdsk utility is useless... (thanks Microsoft I have always wanted a OS that is as bloated and annoying as it is frustrating to use.) if you can get chkdsk to actually scan files, it doesn't matter, because it wont actually repair them.  Completely fruitless waste of energy.  Both on the users part and the developers who designed the utility!

Simple solution, though a bit annoying.  Rename the folder.  You will never be able delete that folder, but iTunes will install and create a new folder for you.  Sure it's annoying, but at least you can rename it somthing fun.  I named mine AppleFucked.

Monday, December 24, 2007 1:36 AM
  • I've got Vista Home Premium and am seeing the same 0x80070091 error. Simply renaming the folder is not an option, as I also need to delete the parent folder.

There are no hidden files. I get the same error when I try and delete in the Command Prompt (cmd.exe). I can't find a description of this error anywhere on Mirosoft site. I've got a software dev environment that took FOREVER to set up, so I'm loathe to wipe the OS and start over.

"Make a note of this error code, which might be useful..." Not so far it isn't.

Monday, January 14, 2008 5:13 PM
  • Follow up:

I was finally successful in deleting the dir that was causing the 0x80070091 error.  The steps I took were:
    • Installed Vista SP1 (build 6001 - offical release not available as of 1/14/2008) 
    • Booted up in safe mode
    • Ran "chkdsk /f" in Command Prompt
      • Make sure virus protection allows this action. It may complain about a registry change.
      • Allow chkdsk to complete. It takes a long time. Then it reboots.
      • Don't forget the "/f" The "/f" tells the program to fix problems it finds.
    My machine then started up normally, I logged in and I deleted the offending directory through Windows Explorer. I am dreading a recurrence of this problem.
    Monday, January 14, 2008 8:28 PM
  • Yeah... I understand how you wouldn't want to wipe the OS.  It does take forever and a day to set up your machine.  Can you rename the parent folder and reinstall whatever software it refers to?  Thats what I ended up doing.  But definitely try that other guys fix first.  I am going to try it tonight.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:23 PM
  • Thanks.  The suggestion to change the folder worked for me.  Sims 2 stopped working, so I decided to reinstall.  Sims is notorious for being impossible to uninstall.  I was able to do everything except delete the program folder for Sims 2.  I couldn't open the folder, but I couldn't delete it either and kept getting this error code.  I tried to do what "14andcounting" suggested, but it didn't make a difference.  Renaming the file seems to have done the trick.

My computer is a Dell XPS M1330, running on Vista.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 11:03 PM
  • Funny story really.... I had to go through all the hassle of trying to post on others threads for their response but it seems that they are only trying to get you to download their software, so here is the story and a way to fix your computer for the common layman when it comes to computers. Unfortunately, I am also a layman, but it seems that I figured this one out, so I am going to call myself a superhero for the good of mankind. So here is the way to solve the issue. Both Adobe and Microsoft should pay me a royalty for solving their computer issues. Anyways here goes.

OK, so I am a computer neophyte in the grand scheme of things but two things ended up being successful for me.
    Since I go to school online I have books that are only in PDF format. A real crapshoot when you have error 0x80070091 going on because it only seems to effect Adobe and unfortunately, you need adobe to read pdf files. I could not download a new program, uninstall the last program, the file was corrupted, check disk did not work, etc.

However, I still found two solutions.

I did two things. Although the file is not capable of being deleted, the file can be renamed (since it is empty anyways it does not matter), so rename that parent adobe file anything you want. I named mine hg. if you look, those keys are right next to each other and could have typed asdf just as easily. Anyways, the file name is irrelevant. What occured is that file is now moved out of the way to allow a new adobe installation to take place. I downloaded Adobe 9 and it is working perfectly. Hope I don't need system restore because that still does not work, but at least I am moving forward and being able to use the program. The other result, is you have a file that is unable to be touched and if you are like me that is still annoying.

The more appropriate solution if you are not in a hurry, is to use the Windows boot disk. That will allow you to run chkdsk on the system before windows starts running. That means it fixes the files and we are good to go again. Then you also do not need to restart save all your work again.
    Hope that helps. It worked for me... Just compiled all the data points from these messages and got me back on my feet. Thought I would just write a concise email that hopefully will help everyone.

See. simple. Have fun. Write if you found this interesting or useful.

EVC

Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:07 AM
  • This totally works!!! Thank you, I did your first option and it worked immediately. You don't even know how much time I spent getting frustrated over this! Your a genius!!!!

Saturday, September 13, 2008 8:22 PM
  • Thank you for the excellent advice.  Between you, Chaddington Boomhauer on Second Life, and Suzukibiker on Microsoft Answers my inability to reinstall iTunes was solved.  Chad suggested enabling the REAL Administrator via http://www.autoshutdown.org/how-to-enable-administrator-in-vista.html .  Suzuki offered http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-take-ownership-file.html which enabled me to take ownership of the file, and your simple suggestion of renaming the offending corrupt file folder something VERY vulgar was the keystone in my arch of solution.  Thank you, again.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:47 AM
  • hey thats a good answer cus it seems to b for reprogramming in my asus laptop. i got the same error, and same idea, it doesnt want to move forward while installing some things. thanks!!!
    rBourgeois dittums
    Monday, December 19, 2011 3:28 AM
  • If your trying to update a "program" try going to the "Uninstall" (you won't be uninstalling it) and find the program, then right click it, and click "Repair". This helped me with one of my updates when it kept giving me errors.

Hope this helps some!
    Friday, December 30, 2011 3:01 PM
  • i get en error code, 0x80070091, how can i get rid of this, thank you
    Wednesday, July 3, 2013 10:06 PM