none
Offline Files and Slow-Link Mode Issues on Windows 10

Question

• Platform: Windows 10 Pro x64
    Domain Functional Level: 2016

I am having an issue with Slow-Link Mode for Offline Files. I have set the below group policy to disabled:

• Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Offline Files\Configure slow-link mode

Which means that a folder should never go in to Slow-Link mode while connected to a network share/resource. I only want the share/resource to go to Slow-Link mode (Work Offline / Offline Files) if the share/resource is inaccessible, not with a slow latency/connection. However I see the following log in the Event Viewer (Applications and Services\Microsoft\Windows\ Offline Files\Operational):

Event ID= 1004
    Description:  Path \server\share$ transitioned to slow link with latency = 81 and bandwidth = 258888 

A folder that is not synchronized for offline use has a grey X on it so when I try to open the folder, it says

• "This file is currently not available for use on this computer."

I have also tried using the registry editor to add the Key and DWORD value with no success (supposedly only confirmed to apply up to Windows 8).

HKLM:\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\NetCacheSlowLinkEnabled
    REG_DWORD = 0

I can manually remove the "Work Offline" flag when I'm in the folder, but I don't want to make users do this, as it should never work offline unless there is NO network connectivity.

The network latency is only for users connected to VPN working from home, so as I understand Windows default value for transitioning to Slow-Link mode is 35ms round-trip latency, and the users go up to 100ms round-trip latency on VPN.

Also, I have made nearly all the same configurations as in this article: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/ca9921e5-3fb8-41dd-b46e-eb4cf3f74a2d/on-slow-connections-automatically-work-offline-uncheck?forum=win10itpronetworking

Any suggestions or has anyone configured a similar scenario for Windows 10 environment?

• Edited by pm2gonzales Monday, February 11, 2019 5:51 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2019 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    How do we know the users go up to 100ms round-trip latency on VPN?

Maybe different users have different
    latency on VPN because they work in different bandwidth.

We can try to configure this policy with the highest network
    latency the user works on VPN.
    Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Offline Files\Configure slow-link mode

After applying the policy, then we go to see if the 
    "Work Offline" flag persists.

And from the blogs Slow-Link with Windows 7 and DFS Namespaces , we can see:

Windows 7 also returned the ability for a cached network location to transition from an offline state due to slow-link back into an online state when network conditions improve, without additional intervention. If you ever dealt with Windows Vista and defined the policy, you know that you had to click the “Work Online” button or use a script to transition the location back into an online state.

After transition, client-side caching performs this check every 2 minutes. Windows Vista also checked, but only for locations offline due to network disconnection, interruption and the like. This does not necessarily mean that right when the check completes that it will transition back online. A slow-link transition is kept in either offline state for a default minimum of 5 minutes.

So if the 
    network conditions improve, clients will automatically switch from offline state to online state.

If it has no impact on our work, we can ignore it. This is not a "problem" if the network latency is small or the network is very good.

Reference:
    “Configure slow-link mode” policy on Vista for Offline Files
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2009/02/11/configure-slow-link-mode-policy-on-vista-for-offline-files/

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 7:42 AM
  • Hi Daisy, I have done several latency/PING tests.  While this does not impact all users, I am able to replicate the scenario by artificially increasing my latency.  But the latency is not the issue.  As I mentioned, we are a Windows 10 environment.  I have set the "Configure slow-link mode" policy to disabled, therefore the shares should never transition to "Slow-Link Mode".  I have attempted to set this both using Domain Group Policy, and Local Group Policy and the result is the same.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 2:02 PM
  • * *Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Offline Files\Configure slow-link mode*

Did you make sure that this setting reaches your clients? (gpresult /h report.html)

*HKLM:\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\NetCacheSlowLinkEnabled*

This path misses a backslash: NetCache\SlowLinkEnabled - https://gpsearch.azurewebsites.net/#2093

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 3:24 PM
  • Hi,
    1. We have disable the Configure slow-link mode, so we can try to check whether this policy is actually disabled on these Windows 10 clients?

We can run login the client with administrator account.
    Open command prompt.
    Type gpresult /h C:\report.html.
    Click Enter.
    Check if there is this policy on the gpresult report.

2. Whether other Windows 10 clients that they do not apply this policy (domain policy and local policy)
    also transition to "Slow-Link Mode"?

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 1:15 AM
  • Hi,
    If this question has any update or is this issue solved? Also, for the question, is there any other assistance we could provide?

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Friday, February 15, 2019 1:12 AM
  • The policy is indeed being applied.  As I mentioned, I have done both through Domain Group Policy and local machine group policy.
    Friday, February 15, 2019 2:38 PM
  • Hi Daisy, I have done several latency/PING tests.  While this does not impact all users, I am able to replicate the scenario by artificially increasing my latency.  But the latency is not the issue.  As I mentioned, we are a Windows 10 environment.  I have set the "Configure slow-link mode" policy to disabled, therefore the shares should never transition to "Slow-Link Mode".  I have attempted to set this both using Domain Group Policy, and Local Group Policy and the result is the same.

Hi,

To better understand our question, please confirm the following information:

1. According to "While this does not impact all users", do we mean this does not impact all VPN users or all the users working in company?

2. According to "
    I am able to replicate the scenario by artificially increasing my latency", do we replication the scenario in company or at home through VPN?

According to : I have set the "Configure slow-link mode" policy to disabled, therefore the shares should never transition to "Slow-Link Mode", how do we see transition to "Slow-Link Mode"?

What do we mean "
    Slow-Link Mode", do we mean "Work Offline" or "grey X" on share or "Slow-Link Mode" in gpresult report?

Would you please the screenshot about grey X?

4. Would you please provide the gpresult report about one of problematic VPN user? We want to know if 

this policy is actually disabled on these Windows 10 clients.

5. Now what is our question? We can not access share or t
    here is only "Work Offline" flag on share but we can we access share?

Thank you for your time.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Monday, February 18, 2019 9:37 AM
  • 1. This policy affects all users in the company, just not all notice.

2. I can replicate anywhere I connect through VPN connection

3. As I mentioned in the original post, I see in the Event Viewer log:

a. Event Viewer (Applications and Services\Microsoft\Windows\ Offline Files\Operational)

Event ID= 1004

Description:  Path \server\share$ transitioned to slow link with latency = 81 and bandwidth = 258888

b. I cannot post a picture of the error as my account still needs to be verified, but you can see an example at this URL: https://winadminnotes.wordpress.com/2016/02/01/grey-cross-on-the-network-files-and-folders/

4. As I mentioned in the original post, I have already verified the policy was tested and applied at the domain level, but also at the local machine level

USER SETTINGS

--------------

CN=John Smith,OU=Active,OU=Users,OU=xxx,OU=xxxxxxxx,DC=xxxxxxxx,DC=com

Last time Group Policy was applied: 2019-02-19 at 8:30:04 AM

Group Policy was applied from:      xxxxxx.xxxxxx.com

Group Policy slow link threshold:   500 kbps

Domain Name:                        xxxxxxxxx

Domain Type:                        Windows 2008 or later

Applied Group Policy Objects

-----------------------------

Offline_Files_Policy

5. I can only access the folders/files which are synched for offline use.  Everything else will have a grey X on it, within the share we are attempting to access

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 1:56 PM