Windows Live OneCare

Question

• 64 bit Windows 7 installed with no problems. Tried to install Windows OneCare. Got an error that Windows 7 was not supported. Is there a work around to get it to install?

Thanks,

Rod M.
    Friday, January 09, 2009 7:31 PM

Answers

• Windows Live OneCare will not be continued after June 2009.  It is then moving to a free alternative solution from Microsoft.  As of this time there is no support for Windows 7 planned that i have seen.  Even in compatibility mode.
    ~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    • Proposed as answer by Alex T JrModerator Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jarmedia Monday, January 12, 2009 7:50 PM
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 3:39 AM

All replies

• Ditto 64 bit Ultimate and 32 bit Home Premium
    Friday, January 09, 2009 9:16 PM
  • The other thing you can try is installing in compatibility mode.
    Friday, January 09, 2009 9:20 PM
  • Same as my answer to using Symantec AV Corporate 10.2. 

Anti-virus software made for Vista likely will not work on Windows 7 as it operates way down int he nuts and bolts of the operating system.  Since the Kernel has been revised substantially they probably won't work.

You can download a trial of either Kapersky, AVG, or Norton 360 from the links here:  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/antivirus-partners/windows-7.aspx

These will work and will expire at the same time as the beta.  I've installed Kapersky myself and it will have regular updates at no charge through the beta period.
    Friday, January 09, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Scott Klassen said:

The other thing you can try is installing in compatibility mode.

Umm... I suppose I should have said that I tried it in compatibility mode for Vista. I'm surprised it's not on the list.
    Friday, January 09, 2009 10:46 PM
  • Windows Live OneCare will not be continued after June 2009.  It is then moving to a free alternative solution from Microsoft.  As of this time there is no support for Windows 7 planned that i have seen.  Even in compatibility mode.
    • Proposed as answer by Alex T JrModerator Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jarmedia Monday, January 12, 2009 7:50 PM
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 3:39 AM
  • I tried Norton 360 and must report it is a dog. It slows Windows 7 to a craw in every aspect from email to internet. Also the Norton "Gadget" constantly causes a memory error when shutting down the system. I've discussed this on the Symantec forum and it appears that Symantec's philosophy is that Windows7 is "vaperware", and is not ready for primetime. It appears other Antivirus/Security software companies do not feel that way. I am using AVG which works fine with Win7

Hope Symantec gets it's rear in gear as I use Symantec Corporate on our SBS Server, and wish to use it with Windows 7 and SBS Server 2007.

Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:38 PM
  • Alex T said:

Windows Live OneCare will not be continued after June 2009.  It is then moving to a free alternative solution from Microsoft.  As of this time there is no support for Windows 7 planned that i have seen.  Even in compatibility mode.

Correct. Windows Live OneCare has reached end of life and is being replaced by an unnammed free product yet to be announced with similiar functionality. AVG and Kapersky are the only two programs that I'm aware of that are available for protecting the Windows 7 Beta at this time.
    • Proposed as answer by Paul Hansen Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:14 PM
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:45 PM
  • I use the Kaspersky beta, and haven't found any problems so far. Systems is very snappy (except for opening new IE windows).
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:07 PM
  • I downloaded the free AVG and it is running OK.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 1:00 AM
  • all that does is slow your computer down make windows crash a lot or move really slow I use windows defense with ccleaner pro  
    • Edited by taylor76 Wednesday, December 31, 2014 12:18 AM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 12:17 AM