Libraries Very Slow RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed file operations libraries are very slow. Like copying and deleting folder that have a lot of items, for example.

I tried on 3 different PCs and it is the same on all of them. Deleting or copying a test folder I used is from 3 to 30 times slower when done in a library.

Tested systems:

- HP ProLiant MicroServer (N36L) with Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit

- Intel Q6600 desktop PC with Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit

- Asus 1005HA netbook with Windows 7 Professional SP1 32 bit

In My Documents I downloaded the Tor Browser Bundle ( from https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en  the en-US version), extracted it and made a copy of it (ctrl-C ctrl-V).

Then I deleted (deleted, not moved to Recycle Bin, so : SHIFT-DEL) the copy.

Afterwards I opened Libraries / Documents (so I see the same files as before) and repeated the operations (copy, then delete the test folder). Both take now much much longer.

I saw many post on internet about this (most also complain about slow copy over network, my issue is local), but no solution (at least no such that would work for me).
    Where to look?
    The workaround I use is to either avoid using Libraries at all, or before making a file operation I switch to direct access (click into the path bar, so the path text appears, then append a backslash to it at the end and press the return key).
    Regards,
    David

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 2:46 PM

All replies

• Disable thumbnails?

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:03 PM
  • Does not help.

There are no thumbnails involved anyway...

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:07 PM
  • Does your Libraries contain many locations? Including some network locations or deep directories?

If so, this may probably cause the slow performance.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:55 AM
  • No.

It is a recent installation of Windows.

The  Libraries / Documents contains two folders: My Documents and Public Documents.

Public Documents has the 3 default folders, all empty (actually they are locked - lock symbol on the icon).

My Documents has:

- one empty folder

- a drivers folder (it has about 5 driver packages for my hardware - 442 files and 48 folders)

- My Music, My Pictures, My  Videos (Access Denied for all 3 again, weird)

- one encrypted folder containing one encrypted text file (704 bytes long)

- yet another folder, containing 10 exe files and the mentioned tor-browser folder

- Default.drp

- desktop.ini

Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:45 AM
  • So for you, the test I described in the first post is the same speed both inside and outside a library?
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:46 AM
  • I checked on 2 other PCs and people in another forum confirmed it.

It is some general performance flaw with Libraries.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:02 PM