App-V 5.0 Package and system folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hope someone can help me, having a weird issue with an App-V package that I've sequenced. I am sequencing an application on Windows 8 x64, and during install the application adds .dll files to the c:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder. My sequenced machine is a VM with a saved snapshot, so for testing I revert back to the snapshot and expand the package to the local system. The program runs fine on the sequenced machine, and all the .dll files appear correctly in the SysWOW64 folder.

When I go and deploy the package to a workstation (also running Win 8 x64) I get missing .dll errors and the files required are not in the SysWOW64 folder. I tried editing the package and under Package Files tab, changed the SystemX86 folder to Override Local Directory. Still this does not solve the problem.

What I don't understand is that it works perfectly on the sequenced machine, but does not for a workstation on our domain. Is there an issue with adding virtual files to protected folders? Or is there another way I can get this working?

If anyone could help me with this issue, I would be greatly appreciated. It's sending me mad!

Cheers!

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:29 AM

Answers

• Sorry for the late reply, had got caught up with other projects.

For some reason, procmon on the machine I'm testing with fails to run, even when I run it as administrator. I've had to put this package to bed for the time being as I've had to concentrate on other packages. Luckily it's only needed for two users, so will re-evaluate when they need it next.

Thanks for your help, cheers! 

• Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, November 2, 2013 10:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by David WoltersModerator Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:04 PM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:21 AM

All replies

• Hello,

have you utilized procmon to see where it attempts to locate files?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:51 AM
  • Sorry for the late reply, had got caught up with other projects.

For some reason, procmon on the machine I'm testing with fails to run, even when I run it as administrator. I've had to put this package to bed for the time being as I've had to concentrate on other packages. Luckily it's only needed for two users, so will re-evaluate when they need it next.

Thanks for your help, cheers! 

• Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, November 2, 2013 10:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by David WoltersModerator Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:04 PM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:21 AM
  • I have the same problem with Casesoft TimeMap 4 and Notemap 2.  No joke, cmen.dll is supposed to be in c:\windows\syswow64 but the virtual file system in AppV puts it in {systemx86}.  I'm not sure what path that resolves to but these two programs cannot find it where it's supposed to be.  If I add a file from c:\windows\system32, the variable is {system} and if I put it in c:\windows\system, it puts it in Windows\system in the VFS.  

I tried forcing the path to be Windows\SysWOW64 but appv auto creates the path when you select the file and won't let you edit it manually.  

I ended up making a cmd copy installer since it has simple copy protection of a plain text registry key

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 9:02 PM