Windows 7 MDAC question RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I hsve a cad program that only will work with MDAC 2.6-2.8...when I try to instasll it on my new windows 7 computer, towards the end when it is setting up and injecting databases, sql server etc I get a wrong MDAC version error and it then it stops the install..

I was hoping the new windows 7 compatibility tool was going to allow me to run this application, but uit seems there's even a set up issue here?  Any work arounds here?  There is not tech support for the program, they went out of biz a few years back.

If I'm leaving out any information that you may need please let me know, or if this  would better fit elsewhere

Thank you

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 4:54 AM

Answers

• Hi

I think MDAC is already installed on Windows 7. I have just ran test using MDAC Utilitly : Component checker from microsoft and it came back with version greater than 2.8. Try running program and see what happens.

Select perform analysis for specific version when doing test because it will come back with unknown if you select automatic analysis.

Cheers
    Vishal
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 11:09 AM

All replies

• Hi

I think MDAC is already installed on Windows 7. I have just ran test using MDAC Utilitly : Component checker from microsoft and it came back with version greater than 2.8. Try running program and see what happens.

Select perform analysis for specific version when doing test because it will come back with unknown if you select automatic analysis.

Cheers
    Vishal
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 11:09 AM
  • You, sir, are disengenous - MDAC Utility: Component Checker - this utility does not in fact run on Windows Vista or on Windows 7.  In fact if you had run it there would be an error message of;

---------------------------
    Component Checker
    Component Checker is not supported on Windows Vista and later Windows OS's, since MDAC files are protected on these platforms
    OK  

Marking such false information as "Answered" will in fact make life,research harder for other persons who also have the MDAC install problem in Windows 7 - as do I (on Windows 7 pro), and know first hand that this tool does not answer any questions.  

Using instructions from microsoft s website I navigated to this regkey and checked the version there

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ DataAccess \ FullInstallVersion

Cheers,
    --

Friday, July 23, 2010 1:40 AM
  • Brilliantly put ...... Thank you... success after a wild goose chase
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:37 PM
  • Thank you. It had been years since I used the MDAC checker, downloaded and installed and got the same answer: not supported.

Damn shame that VSPatel isn't straight-forward with his information. 1025 responses to date... can't trust guru's like that!

The HKEY_LM answered the question. Thanks again.

• Edited by debrucer1 Friday, September 23, 2011 9:18 PM x
    Friday, September 23, 2011 9:17 PM
  • In my win7 ir ran but setting backward compatibility to WinXP Sp2 (the one i used)
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:22 PM