Shared Mailbox Sent Items Going To Wrong Sent Folder RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having an issue where a user has access to a shared mailbox, but when she sends from that mailbox, the sent items go to her personal sent folder instead of the shared mailbox sent folder. I've followed these directions here: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2843677/messages-sent-from-a-shared-mailbox-aren-t-saved-to-the-sent-items-folder-of-the-shared-mailbox-in-outlook

but when I get to the registry, there is no 'Preferences' folder under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook

Any reason there wouldn't be a folder there?

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 4:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What version of Microsoft Exchange are you using?

>>but when I get to the registry, there is no 'Preferences' folder under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook

If the 'Preferences' key doesn't exist, you can just create it manually.

In addition, this behavior can also be controlled from the Exchange server side depending on your Exchange versions. See the following blog article for more information:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2015/03/03/want-more-control-over-sent-items-when-using-shared-mailboxes/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:27 AM
  • Thank you for your response Steve. I'll check the link you've posted. Also, I'm using Exchange 2013, the user is using Office 2016.
    Thursday, June 8, 2017 1:40 PM
  • After creating the preferences folder/key, I added in the key specified and it still sent items to the users sent folder instead of the shared box's sent folder. Am I missing something?
    Thursday, June 8, 2017 5:00 PM
  • Thank you for the update. 

Are the user's mailbox and the shared mailbox both reside on Exchange 2013? 

Are you using Exchange 2013 CU9 or newer version? The behavior is different when using a version earlier or newer than CU9.

User Mailbox

Shared Mailbox

Sent Items

Exchange 2010

Exchange 2010

Controlled through settings in KB2632409

Exchange 2010

Exchange 2013 (any version)

Controlled through settings in KB2632409

Exchange 2013 CU9 (or newer) Office 365

Exchange 2010

The sent mail will be delivered to both the Inbox of the shared mailbox as an email attachment* and to the user mailbox' sent items

The sent mail will be delivered to the Sent Items folder of shared mailbox and to the user mailbox' sent items

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Steve Fan Tuesday, June 13, 2017 9:03 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Thursday, June 15, 2017 9:36 AM
    Tuesday, June 13, 2017 9:02 AM