Exchange 2007 uninstall question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a client with several Exchange 2007 servers in their Exchange 2007 Organization.  The servers are located at office locations around the world.  Each server has the same roles, like each is the mailbox server for their location, etc.  One of the servers is no longer needed and has been shipped back here to the states for uninstalling.

I just want to make sure of the proper procedure of uninstalling one Exchange 2007 server from an Organization without destroying the whole organization.  We just want to remove the one server not the whole thing.  I've only been able to find vague descriptions so far, that say to just uninstall it from Control Panel.  Should the server be connected to the network for the uninstall?  Will running uninstall just remove Exchange from that server and not remove the Organization from the AD? 

I am only making sure because a few years ago, they had one of their own employees try to remove an Exchange 2003 server from the organization during the migration.  But the person ended up screwing up the Organization in the AD, and it had to be resolved with a 30+ hour phone call to MS support. 

Thanks

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 4:29 PM

Answers

• Move your mailboxes. 
    Move system mailboxes to another server(if any).
    Move public folder to other server (if any)
    Remove this server from all the send connector's source servers list. 
    Just shutdown the server for a day or 2 and monitor your mail flow. 
    If email flow is not getting interrupted you can follow the steps in the below url and start decommissioning the server. http://exchangegeek.wordpress.com/2010/05/28/how-to-uninstall-exchange-server-2007/.

Additional info.

Run BPA one of the other server and check for any errors after decommissioning the sever.

Thanks, MAS
    Please mark as helpful if you find my comment helpful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Marked as answer by Mavis_Huang Sunday, October 5, 2014 5:14 AM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2014 5:31 PM
  • If you uninstall using the control panel it'll only remove the server on which you run setup.

Exchange 2003 had a "Removeorg" switch in the setup. I don't recall if that was carried over to 2007.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 3:20 AM

All replies

• Move your mailboxes. 
    Move system mailboxes to another server(if any).
    Move public folder to other server (if any)
    Remove this server from all the send connector's source servers list. 
    Just shutdown the server for a day or 2 and monitor your mail flow. 
    If email flow is not getting interrupted you can follow the steps in the below url and start decommissioning the server. http://exchangegeek.wordpress.com/2010/05/28/how-to-uninstall-exchange-server-2007/.

Additional info.

Run BPA one of the other server and check for any errors after decommissioning the sever.

Thanks, MAS
    Please mark as helpful if you find my comment helpful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 5:31 PM
  • All that is done already.  The mailboxes have been moved to one of the other servers and its been shut down for a while and mail works fine.  I just want to make sure running setup to remove Exchange server from that one server will only remove the server and not the whole Organization.
    Tuesday, September 23, 2014 6:44 PM
  • Hi Rayminette,

I agree with MAS.

You could select to completely remove Exchange 2007 from a server or remove Exchange 2007 server roles from a server. Completely remove will remove all server roles, all installation files, and the Exchange server object and all its child objects from the Active Directory. 

More details about it, please refer to following article:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123893(v=exchg.80).aspx
    Note: if this server is first Exchange Server in organization, you must be more careful. For you reference:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb310767(v=exchg.80).aspx

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang
    • Edited by Allen_WangJF Thursday, September 25, 2014 1:37 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 1:36 PM
  • If you uninstall using the control panel it'll only remove the server on which you run setup.

Exchange 2003 had a "Removeorg" switch in the setup. I don't recall if that was carried over to 2007.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 3:20 AM