none
Microsoft Project 2013 - Resource Leveling 'Level only within available slack' option not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a schedule made up of three tasks, 'Write Statement of Work', 'Write Safety Plan', and a 'Complete Written Plan' milestone. The project manager resource is assigned to the parallel tasks 'Write Statement of Work' (5-days) and 'Write Safety Plan' (3-days). The project manager is also over allocated.

I cannot seem to get the resource leveling option 'Level only within available slack' to work. I leveled the resources only within the available slack and it shifted the task 'Write Safety Plan' beyond the end date of the project, which has a Must Finish On constraint. The end result is that the task 'Write Safety Plan' has a total slack of -1-day.

I would have thought the 'Level All' command would not move 'Write Safety Plan' or only shift it right by 2-days, but not shift it beyond the Must Finish On constraint by 1-day. 

Any thoughts?

Unfortunately, I was prohibited from including an image of my schedule in my question body text.

--Steve

Saturday, January 9, 2016 4:44 AM

All replies

• SteveM68 --

If these are parallel tasks, why are you leveling them?  Instead, you should reduce the Units value for the project manager on each of these tasks to a level so that the three of them are less than or equal to 100%.  This will resolve the overallocation manually, which is something that Microsoft Project's leveling tool cannot do.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Sunday, January 10, 2016 3:00 AM
  • The intent of this exercise is to better understand how to utilize MS Project's leveling feature. I modeled two tasks in parallel and anticipated that the leveling tool will adjust these so that they are in series. As expected it does. However, the leveling tool is shifting the 'Write Safety Plan' task to the right more than the 'Level only within available slack' should allow. It doesn't appear that the 'Level only within available slack' is having any effect on leveling.

Any input would be appreciated.

--Steve

Monday, January 11, 2016 2:01 PM
  • Dear Steve,

I have got the same problem.

Did you find a solution for this situation?

Thanks in Advance.

Wocky

Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:13 PM