none
Computer Unique ID to Restrict illegal copy

Question

• Dear Friends,

Please as I want to seek technical advice/help I have a question if we will convert physical computer machine to VM virtual machine my question after converted  it to VM CPU and bios ID will be identical of VM  as physical computer has or it will be different as we have situation to protect our developed software for illegal copy as it can be done by convert physical computer into virtual machine, I am seeking for any unique identity of computer which will be not remain same after converting pc into vm.

for further details following URL 

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/3df42e6a-90a0-4d25-aebc-6fd6e4fe20f0/computer-unique-id-to-restrict-illegal-copy?forum=vbgeneral

thank you.

regards, 

asad

asad

Friday, February 3, 2017 5:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>my question after converted  it to VM CPU and bios ID will be identical of VM  as physical computer has or it will be different

As far as I know, they would be different.

Besides, there are lots of posts about the issues caused by P2V, troubleshooting is difficult and time consuming. I suggest you build new VMs and migrate data from the physical machines.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 3, 2017 8:39 AM
  • CPU and BIOS ID will always be different, just as if you took the disk out of one server and put it in a second server and booted.

The long term solution is to not license software this way, as it binds the software to physical systems only.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Friday, February 3, 2017 4:35 PM
  • Hi,
    Are there any updates?
    You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 8:03 AM