none
Fun with FileShare - Restrict Access Based on Computer RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to find a way to restrict access to a file share based on the connecting computer.  Basically, I want it so that if USER-A logs on to COMPUTER-A, then they can access a file share, but that if USER-A, logs onto to COMPUTER-B, they are restricted from accessing those files.  I don't simply want to "hide" the files, hoping that the user doesn't know which server its on, but I want to completely solve the issue of them being able to access them based solely on their connecting machine.

Thoughts?

Monday, November 15, 2010 9:02 PM

Answers

• If you do not expect the user to be able to access any file share on that server from computer-b you can do it with a firewall.  The Windows Firewall that comes with Server is more than capable of setting up a deny rule that is in scope for a single IP address if you have no way of doing this at the hardware level.  If you must do it by computer name you can do so, but you'll need to configure the inbound firewall settings to only allow secure connections.  I've never done this, but in theory it's doable.

You could also make users use different logon accounts from each computer.

http://twitter.com/toenuff
    write-host ((0..56)|%{if (($_+1)%3 -eq 0){[char][int]("116111101110117102102064103109097105108046099111109"[($_-2)..$_] -join "")}}) -separator ""
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, February 28, 2011 12:30 PM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:36 AM