How to Create Custom Page Layout in WSS 3.0 (not MOSS 2007) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to create a custom page layout in wss 3.0 sites.

Please advise.

Thanks in Advance!

Kesavan

Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can add custom web part page templates to SharePoint sites by using sample code for the web part page creation form. First you must create a customized creation form, and then you have eight custom page templates that are identical to the standard page templates on the standard web part page creation form. You can modify the existing eight templates or add new ones.

For more information about Creating custom web part page templates, please refer to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms916835.aspx

Xue-Mei Chang
    Monday, October 13, 2008 4:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Kesavan,

I think you are talking specifically about the Publishing feature, which allows you to create new Layout pages which can then be customized in SharePoint Designer and used as Layouts for new pages on your site. That is a MOSS only feature, so you cannot do it with just the WSS technologies.

If you are talking about Master pages to then be used as Layouts. You can do that by creating them in SharePoint Designer and then right clicking them to set them as the default or custom master page. But I don't think that is what you mean.
    -John, SharePoint Designer Test Lead
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:58 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply.

As of now while creating web part page, i can see only 8 templates. Is there any way to add my own customized templates and choose a template to create the web part page?

Thanks and Regards,
    Kesavan
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

You can add custom web part page templates to SharePoint sites by using sample code for the web part page creation form. First you must create a customized creation form, and then you have eight custom page templates that are identical to the standard page templates on the standard web part page creation form. You can modify the existing eight templates or add new ones.

For more information about Creating custom web part page templates, please refer to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms916835.aspx

Xue-Mei Chang
    Monday, October 13, 2008 4:07 AM
  • Yes... Got it... Nice solution... worked for me :)

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
    Kesavan
    Monday, October 13, 2008 12:15 PM